• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Check this out about UV mapping with Truespace

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, October 18, 2009, 07:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

I was reading a tutorial on UV mapping a model with TS and discovered something pretty neat and simple on how to prep a model for custom skining in a relatively easy way. I cubic mapped this model and found that the bounding box that TS uses for mapping can be resized and repositioned to seperate parts of the model geometry to extract a useable map for paintng in a paint program. Initially, when a cubic map is applied to a model in TS it conforms to the outline of the models edges, but the bounding box size can be resized as well. It can also be moved vertically and horizontally to apply spacing to the model parts in the UV editor layout screen as shown in the included screen shot. Parts can also be rearranged in the UV workspace to optimize the screen space to positon parts for a closer layout prior to exporting the UV map for painting. I set the UV bounding box to 25x25x25 meters and then slid the rear edge of the box to just barely touch the rear of my model, and if you look at the model UV it has some nice spacing between parts. I also selected groups of faces in the UV editor to further optimize the piece more tightly too. There are still some hidden UV lines, but they can also be selected and the vertices broken along the edges and moved around to further optimize the parts for easier painting. I've yet to find a simpler method to unwrap a model with such speed and simplicity.
PS: I hope this pans out as I really need a simpler way to custom skin my stuff. BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.