• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Linux and Other free OS's

Started by Clavin12, October 17, 2009, 06:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven

Acronis is good.

Whoopsie, isn't free, sorry.
Unless you want to buy it of course. I get on great with it.

Heres a link anyway.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/

Clavin12

Congrats to me because i'm typing this from my laptop running Zenwalk linux off of the hardrive, with only 128 mb ram. :lol:
C l a v i n 1 2

sabrebattletank

Zero Angel

Quote from: Clavin12 on December 02, 2009, 08:53:44 AM
Congrats to me because i'm typing this from my laptop running Zenwalk linux off of the hardrive, with only 128 mb ram. :lol:
Awesome, how does it run? I'd like to know what distro's are good for machines that have low RAM. Some of the ones I tried so far are pretty crappy.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Clavin12

DSL (damn small Linux) runs super fast but its terribly ugly and not very productive. Puppy is a little better and it has a better word processor. I could get my wireless car to work with it where I couldn't in DSL. Zenwalk is a lot bigger than either of these and runs slower, but I like it better because it has a lot better programs, such as open office. It actually comes in 4 different versions: Standard, Core, Live CD, and Gnome edition. One problem I did find was that I couldn't find a version of WINE to go with it.

http://www.zenwalk.org/

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
C l a v i n 1 2

Zero Angel

Well you could always compile wine, for most programs compiling is easy (./configure -> make -> sudo make install) but something like wine sounds like it might be a little more difficult, and some OS's require you to use certain flags (like -xcv) in the compile command, and sometimes you gotta install dev headers for certain things -- but its not a big deal if you're not as lazy as I am when it comes to doing things the long way.
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel

Clavin12

Crap, its not working. I booted a couple times and it was fine then it gave me a kernel panic error. I wiped and reinstalled. A couple boots later it started giving me errors about a badly configured X. Should I find something else or keep trying?
C l a v i n 1 2

Zero Angel

Are you talking about a random zenwalk problem, or did you try to compile wine and it somehow went off the rails?
{bac}Zero Angel

Clavin12

A random Zenwalk problem. I think their related though because they both happened after I rebooted a couple times.
C l a v i n 1 2

Zero Angel

Well, i dont know the exact details of your problems but one of the stock solutions of X problems is to login as root and run the command:
nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and make sure that the driver variable is set to "vesa" (or if you're using "nvidia", then try "nv") and restart the x server (or the computer)

Some OS's or drivers have commands to configure x, like ubuntu's command "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" or for people using the proprietary nvidia drivers an also try "sudo nvidia-xconfig"

Only try the X reconfiguring commands if your research turns up nothing.
{bac}Zero Angel

Clavin12

My troubles are over. My neighbor found his win2k cd. :-P And now I'm duel booting win2k and ubuntu.
C l a v i n 1 2

sabrebattletank

Clavin12

At least on the desktop (which I might not have told you about). On the laptop I just have win2k. I found out something also. Tomboy Notes is great for everything and more writing related.
C l a v i n 1 2

sabrebattletank

Yeah, it's pretty cool to have a little notes program like that.

Clavin12

Unfortunately I can't get it to work on windows. It takes a .net framwork and gtk#. I got those but for some reason it just won't start.
C l a v i n 1 2