• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Forcing or Faking Aero (formerly Windows 7 resolution issues)

Started by AHadley, October 20, 2009, 12:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AHadley

Well, I just finished installing my nice new shiny copy of Windows 7 and I've discovered I have a problem. My screen resolution is locked at 640x480, and none of the options in Control Panel will change it. It says my hardware won't support the options... and yet before upgrading I was running at 1024x768 with no trouble at all. My colour depth locked to 16, when before 32-bit was no problem at all.

Research suggests a drivers issue, but W7 says all my drivers are up to date. Are there any other options or things I can do to try to fix it?

TheJamsh

Thats definately a graphics card driver issue if you ask me. My resolution sticks at 640x480 when i load in safe mode, and wont change.

I bet your card isnt supported or something... or you need a new driver (NOT a windows one).

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Nielk1

I bet you plain old don't have a W7 driver for it.

Click on the image...

AHadley

That's what I bet too, but Dell aren't offering W7 drivers yet.

bigbadbogie

You are running windows 7 on a computer with a max res of 1024x768?  :-o
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

AHadley

I have a 12" wide monitor and I can't be bothered to hook up to the television every morning.

AHadley

I have corrected both my screen resolution and colour depth. All I had to do was reinstall the drivers for XP but in its compatibility mode. Simple, really.

I am now looking for some way of enabling (or faking) Windows Aero on a graphics card that Windows says does not support it. I've tried the registry patch and it didn't help.

TheJamsh

do you not think that putting windows 7 on this laptop was a waste of time yet :P?

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

AHadley

It's my desktop. And it's got a performance score of 1.0 on a scale between 1.0 and 7.9. I know it's hoot, it's the one I keep moaning about.

VSMIT

I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

AHadley

I know :P

I've found lots of little applets that do exactly what I need. I've got glass, transparent taskbar, Aero Peek, and Windows Flip. That'll do for now... the tooltips aren't essential.

Raven

Thats kind of... shockingly bad.

Anyway, as far as faking Aero, the closest I think you can physically get would be:

Thats actually XP.

The window in the foreground is a replacement for explorer. However I don't use it, as although the titlebar looks like 7/vista - fully transparent (but no blur) - it lacks functionality, and even I'm not gonna use something that is barely of any use. They still did a good job though.
Background window is the native explorer (which I seem to have accidentally altered my toolbar on but can't be bothered to boot back into XP to fix it.)

I don't like Windows Sidebar, but it does actually have it.

The 'taskbar' or whatever they're calling it these days works like the one in 7; with the fade and grouped windows that you can select from hover or whatever.

Startbar is, as you can see, fully functional.

Easy stuff; mouse, sounds, boot & login screen

Oh, and it hasn't glitched; my mouse just happened to be over the maximise button...

The guys that made all of those little bits of software did a really good job, kudos to them, and thanks of course.

Zero Angel

What a convincing imitation of windows 7. The previous Win7 themes i've tried for XP didnt do such a good job. Of course Win7 is much different then just a look. It has a lot of handy features that are built into the OS and tastefully implimented.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Nielk1

One ascetic thing I absolutely HATE about both Vista and 7 is unless you go fugly classic, you HAVE TO have the damn programs open in the little start menu window and not expand across your screen.

Click on the image...

Zero Angel

Oh yeah, that bothers me too. Though I like to use a program called launchy which makes using the start menu a thing of the past. In fact it remembers enough so all i have to do is press win+space to bring up launchy and type 1.2 or 1.3 or "for" and it will know that I mean "Battlezone 2 v 1.2" or "Forgotten Enemies" for example.

The launchy-type search of post-XP is pretty nice, but not as comprehensive as launchy.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression