• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Ok, lets give everything a name (voting on the third faction homeworld)

Started by Mr X, October 25, 2009, 11:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should the third faction homeworld be called?

Aenea (or a corruption thereof)
Aetheria
Alyssia
asphodelia
Artemus

Clavin12

C l a v i n 1 2

Mr X

Quote from: Nielk1 on October 25, 2009, 02:28:40 PM
However I am not particularly thrilled by any of them myself.

New new rule, you have to have a serious belief that it has a chance. :P

Quote from: bigbadbogie on October 25, 2009, 02:20:48 PM
17 ship types in the build tree!!

Build tree? This is just for the background story, the ship never has an in mission appearance. (and it gets blown up a few missions in anyway.)

Quote from: Clavin12 on October 25, 2009, 02:43:58 PM
Have it end in "a" to make it female. Ships are always female.

He has a point.
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

sabrebattletank

In English they are, were they in ancient Greek? I'm ok with either answer, I just don't know.

Mr X

Ancient Greece doesn't matter, because it occurs in the near future, it would be named using our ship naming practices.
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

Nielk1

Quote from: Mr X on October 25, 2009, 02:51:19 PM
New new rule, you have to have a serious belief that it has a chance. :P
I was trying to help by giving a list of names with historical relation. They could be used anywhere in the story. I do not think just throwing up a flack of more rules would help anything. It would more stifle any good ideas. I specifically brought up that the Scions will have more than 1 ship and using the listed names for the ships or for their class would have a historical relation. I just don't want to hear classes for the scions like "Constitution class".

Permission to model some Scion ships and station bits for brainstorming in my specific modding area?

I pointed VSMIT toward the name list I gave as possibly useful for BACKGROUND story. TBO I didn't actually READ my name list.

That is a very American thing isn't it? Making male names female with an a is often weird sounding.

Click on the image...

Clavin12

C l a v i n 1 2

VSMIT

I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

sabrebattletank

It's not a marine vessel, it's a spaceship.

Clavin12

C l a v i n 1 2

iron maiden

I'm going to put in my suggestion's, love 'em, or hate 'em

The Oddeyes[I know its spelled incorrectly] who battled his way through numerous beasts to get home
The Phoenix of Cerberus, because the dark planet was known as Cerberus, which became the new core, which became destroyed, and the scions have been able to get over this defeat
The Columbus, because the ship makes a new discovery of great importance.

So we only get one chance can we take it
And we only get one life can't exchange it
Can we hold on to what we have don't replace it
The age of innocence is fading..... Like an old dream

VSMIT

Quote from: Clavin12 on October 25, 2009, 06:58:00 PM
Whats the problem with making it end in "a"?
The fact that we'd have to tailor every name we come up with to include the "a" at the end.  It's more work than it's worth.

AND IT DOESN'T MATTER.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

VSMIT

AHadley

Cerberus is too close to Cerberi.

Magellan is actually a pretty good suggestion. Reminds me of Aquanox, I'll have a look for ship names in that later.

In the English language, words and objects to not have gender. Roman uses -a and -us, but I'm not sure what Greek uses.

Clavin12

All the ones that N1 suggested ended in us and thus it made sense to make them end in a. If we make it an english name we'll have to change the name to the female version of the name.
C l a v i n 1 2