• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Ok, lets give everything a name (voting on the third faction homeworld)

Started by Mr X, October 25, 2009, 11:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should the third faction homeworld be called?

Aenea (or a corruption thereof)
Aetheria
Alyssia
asphodelia
Artemus

Zero Angel

Why would we need to translate the whole mod if we use the name 'einheid' for a ship? Is there some unwritten rule im not aware of? Explain your reasoning please.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Nielk1

I particularly like Oka Nieba. That means "Eye of the Heaven/Sky" in Polish. Beautiful name for sky eye in a mod. You have to say it right too. It's like, O-ka N-yey-ba .

Click on the image...

Zero Angel

Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel

sabrebattletank

Quote from: Zero Angel on October 26, 2009, 08:29:35 PM
Why would we need to translate the whole mod if we use the name 'einheid' for a ship? Is there some unwritten rule im not aware of? Explain your reasoning please.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any current ships that are direct foreign words, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though. I'd kind of like to keep that vein, we are writing the mod in English as far as I know. Battlezone II was released in two other languages, French and German I think, so it would make a kind of sense to translate the mod into those two languages.

Anglicized versions of Greek seem to be the dominant linguistic influence in terms of suggestions for nomenclature. If we want to change that, that's fine I suppose, but the general consensus is to use Greek stuff/mythology to be more cannon.

Although, we could name the ship and other things in a different language to suggest that English in the future has been replaced as the dominant language by another one, and perhaps a political power shift among humanity as well from an English-speaking culture to a different one. What do you guys think about this idea?

Zero Angel

Quote from: sabrebattletank on October 26, 2009, 09:49:17 PM
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any current ships that are direct foreign words, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though. I'd kind of like to keep that vein, we are writing the mod in English as far as I know. Battlezone II was released in two other languages, French and German I think, so it would make a kind of sense to translate the mod into those two languages.

Translating a mod is a lot of effort, if you include getting voice actors. Since most BZ2 players are capable of understanding english, I do not it should not detract from the main effort unless there was a demand for it.

QuoteAnglicized versions of Greek seem to be the dominant linguistic influence in terms of suggestions for nomenclature. If we want to change that, that's fine I suppose, but the general consensus is to use Greek stuff/mythology to be more cannon.

Canon means 'consistent with the main storyline, or 'official'. Star wars fanfics are considered non-canon because they are not officially a part of the star-wars universe.

Greeky/mythology stuff is more 'common', but that doesnt mean that one cannot break from the formula. In some cases it doesnt hurt to give the mod a unique flavor. Its just a name after all.

QuoteAlthough, we could name the ship and other things in a different language to suggest that English in the future has been replaced as the dominant language by another one, and perhaps a political power shift among humanity as well from an English-speaking culture to a different one. What do you guys think about this idea?
That would be difficult to do. Linguistics is a tough thing, if you've ever wondered why a japanese speaker possesses an accent and mispronounces certain words, its because there are sounds which exist in the english language, that do not exist in the japanese language and the japanese speaker would thus have to approximate them. The closest approximation to the word "christmas" in the japanese vocabulary would be ku-ri-shi-mas. The vocal actors would have to be trained to replicate the oddities of the vocabularity, and subtitles would have to be provided.
{bac}Zero Angel

Nielk1

Quote from: sabrebattletank on October 26, 2009, 09:49:17 PM

The Stormpetrel is the Stormpetrel in the German translation of BZ2. Stormpetrel is an English name for a bird. Characters with foreign names occur all the time, names are not translated. Any claim otherwise has no grounds and should have no effect on naming.

John Cooke doesn't become Hans Cooke or something like that.

Click on the image...

sabrebattletank

Quote from: Zero Angel on October 26, 2009, 10:05:32 PM
Not really, the bz2 community isnt big enough to warrent all the trouble of translating it, finding voice actors, and releasing seperate versions of the mod. Most french and germans who play bz2 are capable of understanding english. I suppose it can be done, but it should not detract from the main effort unless there was a demand for it.

I completely agree. But if we were to take the time/effort, German and French make the most sense because BZ2 is released in those languages. But we won't.

Quote from: Zero Angel on October 26, 2009, 10:05:32 PM
That would be difficult to do. Linguistics is a tough thing, if you've ever wondered why a japanese speaker possesses an accent and mispronounces certain words, its because there are sounds which exist in the english language, that do not exist in the japanese language and the japanese speaker would thus have to approximate them. The closest approximation to the word "christmas" in the japanese vocabulary would be ku-ri-shi-mas. The vocal actors would have to be trained to replicate the oddities of the vocabularity, and subtitles would have to be provided.

Yes. True. I was actually thinking of only using the names of things in another language, and a Germanic one at that, because your suggestion of the Dutch "Einheid" put me thinking that way, but not the specifics of dialogue -- those would be in English. But now that does seem rather silly -- the ships' names are in Dutch but everyone speaks English? Suspension of disbelief...

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Nielk1

I find the language of the name irrelevant. Names of cars nowadays are either letters and numbers or made up words anyhow.

Click on the image...

sabrebattletank

Clavin12

Um, the ship wasn't dutch it was Scion. The Scions are super humans and huge fans of the Cthonians who were the basis of all the Greek culture. I suggest we name it Greek or maybe after some mythological beast that would show up in the Mediterranean. Say the Leviathan?
C l a v i n 1 2

Zero Angel

{bac}Zero Angel

AHadley

Quote from: Clavin12 on October 27, 2009, 08:02:49 AM
the Cthonians who were huge Greek fans

Wrong way round, the Cthonians inspired the entirity of Greek civilisation.

I do like the Leviathan though. Very nice.

Nielk1

Click on the image...