• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Windows 7 Installation Problems

Started by BZSubmaximal, October 28, 2009, 10:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BZSubmaximal

Soo.the plan is....

Get home,

reboot old PC

Reinstall BZ 2 and patch to 1.2

Install 5.1a

the install latest versions of rte 66 per instructions

Then copy that complete and working folder into win 7 hd

copy shortcut and correct per instructions on rte 66 2.0 thread..

Red Devil

Yup  :-)  (Unless you already have that all installed on the old pc, then just copy that)
What box???

ScarleTomato

Alrighty well i had only one hitch installing BZ from the CD or installing the 5.1 patch. Works great, started up a game, graphics set to full. Very nice.

The only thing i had to do was open up the cd and run the setup.exe from the setup folder, instead of using the autorun executable. Didn't have to copy anything over, didn't have to manually set any compatibility modes, nothing. (I guess it automatically set the compatibility mode, cause in task manager it has a *32 after the process name.)

I'm running it under Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with automatic updates up-to-date

P.S. why is this thread in two different sections?

Vid

Hrm, the only difference I see is that the OP has Home, and you have Pro.  I didn't think any version of x64 7 worked for 16bit, but maybe I'm wrong?

GSH

Win7 pro (and up) have an XP/32 virtualized mode on supported CPUs. And that can run 16-bit apps.

It's not 100% MS's fault. x64 on both AMD (who came up w/ x64) and Intel chips can't do 16-bit code when running in 64-bit mode.

-- GSH

Red Devil

Whoa...

Was thinking....if you can't run the install on the internal disk, you probably won't be able to run the install on the external one.

BTW, just got my W7 upgrade disk in the mail today...

Quote from: Red Devil on October 29, 2009, 11:29:35 AM
Yup  :-)  (Unless you already have that all installed on the old pc, then just copy that)
What box???

Red Devil

Found this good advice on upgrading on Amazon:

"If you have the Windows 7 upgrade, you can perform a clean install but skip the product key section and finish the install. Once completed, run the upgrade again from within Windows 7 but this time, enter the Windows 7 upgrade key and then activate Windows. This is one of a couple of workarounds, but is by far the easiest, especially for users who are not comfortable working in the registry. It's a bit time-consuming, but it's easy and it works.

I had been running the Windows 7 release candidate for 3 months and the full version 2 weeks before official release date. The experience convinced me to finally upgrade my Windows XP systems to 7. This review briefly touches upon some of the key features and enhancements of Microsoft's latest OS."

More:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2SG94KBWTVQ9C/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2SG94KBWTVQ9C
What box???

Centerline

Red - you should be able to go to control panel -> system and enter your key and activate the Win 7 install without doing a second install.  This has worked for me on several machines so far.

Centerline...

Red Devil

Cool, thanks, good to know. :-)

I'm fixing to install W7 upgrade now. It says I *have* to replace my XP install, but I'm going to try for a dual boot.
What box???

BZSubmaximal

OK< all is "well"....EXCEPT....When I right click my Bzone exe and click properties(to change pathing for G20...the Paths are not shown in win 7  ??!!)

ScarleTomato

you dont change the path of the executable itself. for g6620 you change the path of the Shortcut on your desktop

Red Devil

"Finished" installing W7.

Explorer takes a little getting used to, but I like it so far. Very responsive :-)

I can even dual boot with XP Pro.  :-)

BZ2 ran after I installed DX9.0c, too.

Now I just have to get all my shortcuts to work which I copied over from XP.

Have to reinstall VS2008, too, etc.
What box???

AHadley

When you install Windows 7 over XP, all the files from XP (Program Files, Documents and Settings and Windows - all three folders, compelte) are copied over to a folder called Windows.old in your HD root. Very useful, if it does eat up HD space.

BZSubmaximal

tried copying the shortcut to dektop....It copies over ok, but says it can't run, it is missing a FFC10p.dll from my computer

Red Devil

I find that in the root of the BZ2 install.

I sure don't like default girly color scheme.  I want something that looks like rocks and trees.
What box???