• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

New proposed power source for spaceships

Started by ScarleTomato, November 05, 2009, 02:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrtwosheds

Quotelike I said, I'm not that good at physics so I might be wrong.
At this sort of physics (physics fiction) you are as good as anyone!

NoStr0m0

Quote from: Nielk1 on November 26, 2009, 05:40:06 PM
IIRC they expel radiation from their poles from matter they absorb, unless it was the multidimensional energy from somewhere else thing.

I thought they were going to contain the black hole in a magnetic field or something so nothing actually gets sucked in, which would cause the black hole to become unstable with possibly dire consequences.
The two polar jets you're talking about are something else. And I think they can't appear at such small black holes. We are talking, if not microscopic, then mostly a pin head sized one.
But how do you contain one, anyway? I mean... can magnetic fields contain gravity? That would be a more important discovery than how to actually harness the energy emitted from them.

Hawking radiation is... water, evaporating from a pot, one molecule at a time, very slowly. Small black holes have a shorter life because of this. While supermassive ones can keep losing particles for a long time before their mass can no longer cause a singularity and they first become visible, ghostly and then fully visible and decompose away into nothingness, small ones will generally "burn" out quite quickly. Black hole batteries, for your long lasting MP3 needs.

On a side note, seing as they will need large amounts of energy, I would love to see a Dyson Sphere created to harness the full power of our or any other sun.

OT: The Astronomical Zoo, the Black Hole exhibit, sign: Please, do not feed the black holes!
" 'Till the world burned! "

mrtwosheds

QuoteBut how do you contain one, anyway?
Erm, you don't, they contain you.
Don't you just love it when the clear distinction between science and science fiction get blurred. Micro black holes, Nobody has ever even found one, all the black holes we have (not) observed are huge, they are generally "contained" by galaxies. Theory's about "singularity's" are probably nonsense, just because when you tried to measure it your ruler got broke, does not mean that reality got broke too.
Black holes... area's of the universe we appear not to be able to see, probably caused by the gravitational lensing of light by Massive super dense celestial objects. We know nothing at all about what is actually in them, because we cannot see them. Daft ideas about them being holes in "the fabric of time and space" would be interesting if we had any sensible theory's about what the "fabric of time and space" is before we go making holes in it...
Common sense (not a science) would imply that "the fabric of time and space" is in fact nothing at all. So making a hole in it would make very little difference, add to that the obvious fact that gravity is caused by or linked to matter/energy/stuff that is the opposite of nothing at all, it seems obvious that gravitational lensing would actually be caused by a "Black Lump" Not a singularity at all, in fact something very big and very very solid.
Einstien theorised that Light travels at a constant speed. That theory made the "time/space singularity" the only possible way to cause a "black hole". If the speed of light is not a constant, the "singularity" is nonsense.