• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Mathematic Fallacy

Started by AHadley, November 19, 2009, 11:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrtwosheds

QuoteI think this is funny because you are SO wrong. Math is EVERYTHING.
What was wrong?
Maths could possibly be used to describe everything, given infinite time and capacity to calculate it.
Reality has that by default, reality is not just mathematics incarnate. Mathematics is a human language.
If you want maths to be everything then you are going to have to start expressing your equations in matter, energy and nothing.

Clavin12

C l a v i n 1 2

Feared_1

Quote from: Clavin12 on November 20, 2009, 07:40:00 AM
That's not what I asked.

I was joking because your sentence was grammatically incorrect for the context you wanted.

"Is math love?" isn't the same as "Is love math?"
The answer you wanted: It could be if you wanted it to be. Do I need to give examples or can you figure it out yourself?

MTS, I see where you're coming from. Example: The planets don't "use" math to orbit the sun, but that orbit can be defined using math and a pattern can be found pertaining to the other planets to make a "law." That "law" applies to all planets, even ones that have not been discovered. In fact, it applies to all OBJECTS. It perfectly describes what it needs to. The catch is people not being able to use the equation correctly.

If you don't want "infinite time and space", then you need to add values and variables to give it a specific limit. That's much more complicated, but perfectly possible. Using the example from before: A planet is orbiting the sun as defined by an unnamed orbit equation. A massive meteor strikes the planet and strongly disrupts the orbit of the planet. You can't use the equation anymore to define the orbit because it doesn't apply anymore. You would need to add more variables or values in order to get a mathematical balance again. The issue is that (as Avatar stated), people are not perfect and could easily come up with the wrong equation to describe the new orbit. It may work in that one situation, but in reality it doesn't apply to all.

Quote from: ScarleTomato on November 19, 2009, 10:23:27 PM
Great thing about math... if you're going to say anything about it, you have to prove it.

Quote from: Feared_1.99999...... is exactly 1. Let me prove it...

x = .999999999...

Multiply both sides by 10

10x = 9.999999999...

Because x = .99999999..., let's subtract it (x) from both sides

9x = 9

Divide both sides by 9

x = 1 = .999999...

Clavin12

I didn't say that. He said math is everything and so I asked if math was love. I'm not going to ask is love math because it wouldn't fit the context. Math is not love nor is love math.
C l a v i n 1 2

Steeveeo

Quote from: Nielk1 on November 19, 2009, 01:21:53 PM
INCORRECT! B is 0. Dividing both sides by B is dividing by zero. The fabric of space time breaks down when you divide by zero. Hence, 2=1
Complex Numbers.

Quote from: AHadley on November 19, 2009, 02:10:55 PM
There is another one, though.

1/3 = 0.3`

0.3` + 0.3` = 0.6`

0.6` + 0.3` = 0.9`

What is three thirds?

Only like this if you use Floor rounding. If you use normal or (for some reason) cieling rounding, 2/3 = 0.67 (or 0.7, since you were going to tenths).

0.67 + 0.33 = 1

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Nielk1

Quote from: ScarleTomato on November 19, 2009, 10:23:27 PM
Quote from: Nielk1 on November 19, 2009, 10:20:06 PM
.9' is not 1
.3' + .6' is not .9'
Great thing about math... if you're going to say anything about it, you have to prove it.

Shall I do induction on the length of the infinite decimal? That is how they create 100% will happen indisputable proof for math facts.

Click on the image...

Feared_1

Quote from: Clavin12 on November 20, 2009, 08:20:42 AM
I didn't say that. He said math is everything and so I asked if math was love. I'm not going to ask is love math because it wouldn't fit the context. Math is not love nor is love math.

How about this:

L = f(L)
f(L) is the dependent variable (H)
Let H be a function of L

...Where L is love and H is happiness. Depending on each different person (i.e, throwing in different values and variables), how happy that person is depends on his/her relationships. If few people love that person (L is really low), then, assuming the person is dissatisfied for no one loving them, H should be low as well.

That's algebra.

Clavin12

So? You're just naming a variable love, and another happiness. That doesn't make math love or love math in any way.
C l a v i n 1 2

Nielk1

Quote from: Clavin12 on November 20, 2009, 12:26:29 PM
So? You're just naming a variable love, and another happiness. That doesn't make math love or love math in any way.

No he is quantifying. Get it right.

Click on the image...

VSMIT

Quote from: Clavin12 on November 20, 2009, 12:26:29 PM
Read a post completely before replying.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

eddywright

I tried this equation on my PC, looked what happened

Rocket

Quote.99999...... is exactly 1. Let me prove it...

x = .999999999...

Multiply both sides by 10

10x = 9.999999999...

Because x = .99999999..., let's subtract it (x) from both sides

9x = 9

Divide both sides by 9

x = 1 = .999999...

this calculation was interesting to me, but it took me awhile to find out what's wrong with it.

when you get to the point where you say, "lets subtract x from both sides" the equation no longer is true, since x = 0.9999999999... and 9 times x is 8.99999999999999999999.......999991 and is NOT 9, therefore the equation is false since x is not equal to 1, but is 0.999999999....

btw, you cannot change what x is equal to, after you have given it a value.
Hidden Defenders Mod

Feared_1

Quote from: Rocket on November 21, 2009, 07:40:10 PM
this calculation was interesting to me, but it took me awhile to find out what's wrong with it.

when you get to the point where you say, "lets subtract x from both sides" the equation no longer is true, since x = 0.9999999999... and 9 times x is 8.99999999999999999999.......999991 and is NOT 9, therefore the equation is false since x is not equal to 1, but is 0.999999999....

btw, you cannot change what x is equal to, after you have given it a value.

1. 9x is NOT 8.999...91, because the 9's go on FOREVER after the decimal point. Yes, (.999)*9 = 8.991, but .999 is finite. You cannot count the number of repeats after a repeating decimal, so you can't add a random number at the end. There is no end. It is also not possible to tuck infinite 9's between the decimal and 1. If that were true then I could tuck infinite anything into anything, changing their values completely.
I love it how people try to stop infinite. There is no stopping it because it is not growing. It's already infinite, and it always has been. It is simply forever. Humans are always trying to see infinite. Grasp the fact that you can't even think about reaching it. Just call it "infinite."

2. I never changed the value of x.
.99999999999... is the same as 1. They're the same number, just written differently:
x = 0
and
x = 0*(6)
I still didn't change the value of x. They're the same, just written differently.

I'm right about this. I promise. That proof I used isn't mine. It was taught to me in a math class a while back. I'm not the only one who knows this.

Nielk1

Quote from: Feared_1 on November 21, 2009, 11:08:23 PM
.99999999999... is the same as 1. They're the same number, just written differently

I'm sorry but no they are not. Graphically it is called an asymptote, look it up. It approaches 1  but never reaches it.

and AGAIN, .6' + .3' DOES NOT EQUAL .9' , it equals ONE.

There is no rounding, it is exact. I will bug one of my professors about an inductive proof for this just to set it straight.

Click on the image...

AHadley

Take a look at a reciprocal graph. The values all approach zero but never reach it, instead shooting off into infinity.