• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

1.3 physics discussion cont on bac board.

Started by CaptPicard, February 28, 2004, 07:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptPicard

Thank you for locking my post, guess that there will be at the very least, no discussion or any hope for any change.

Can't believe that you won't let any of the many real vets that make up this community at least give an opinion.

If any of you out there want to continue my origonal post here is the link http://www.bac-clan.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=001422

OvermindDL1

Flying is not a 'vet' tactic, it was a bug, pure and simple, that some people exploited.  I never flew yet I did not seem to have a problem winning.

Do not gripe abour bugs getting fixed, that is the purpose of a patch.  Patch's fix bugs, flying was a bug, how is this difficult to understand?

I've made several posts asking that there be a thread where the 'vets' can discuss the loss of hovering.  I don't think it wise to just lock down any mention of it without allowing the 'vets' to vent.  I'm absolutely one hundred percent POSITIVE that nothing new will be said, but they should have their say.

That being said let me assure everyone that they won't be able to come up with anything that hasn't already been beaten to death over the course of the private Beta.  There are plenty of 'vets' on the beta team and they've already voiced every possible argument for keeping 'hovering'.  (don't get started on terms, that's what the 'vets' are calling it)

Plain and simply 'hovering' is a mistake in math.  It's bad code.  It's not meant to be, never was meant to be, and regardless of how fun it is or how much you feel you need it to dominate the game it's gone.

Gone.

Will not be back.

Cannot, won't, will not, is impossible to be recoded into the game.

Gone.

Got it?  Vent all you want, take it to other boards, get good and p!ssed off about it's loss.

Then deal with it and learn to play the way the game is, or stick with 1.2 and all the silly AVs and such.  Those are your choices.

Pick one and get on with it.

-Av-

BZZERKER

Thanks, I tried to be simple and direct...  

Everyone knows this is going to be one of the most touchy points of the 1.3 patch.  Everyone needs to be calm and reasonable as the loss hits the 'vets' or the boards will erupt in stupidity and chaos.

-Av-

BZZERKER

DarkFox

I used to moan about flying, but I've changed my mind recently, not because I didn't enjoy flying, but because the game goes on longer, and is less easily dominated by chain scouts. I suppose I miss the fun of winning games after 10 minutes with chain scout hovering, but things *are* better how they are in 1.3, what with the strategy behind having to tech up against the enemy and such.

BZ FeebleEffort

"this is going to be one of the most touchy points of the 1.3 patch"

That is exactly correct..and exactly why, *IF* 1.3 is dropped like a dead fish by the "vet MP" playing part of the community, GSH has no one but himself to look to for the reason..he obviously knows why we feel the way we do, and obviously chooses to ignore it.

I was one of those who just got sick of trying "reason" to explain WHY we LIKE what we like about 1.2.

Now, that patch is gonna sink or swim on its own merits or faults.

It will not be the fault of any of us who tried to give input long long ago.

appel

I never considered chain scouts hovering to be a bug, I've considered the AI turrets that can't shoot them down to be the bug. Fix that, not the hover. Everybody will be happy! Just look at ZST, hover is no longer an issue there.

appel

Taking hover from a seasoned vet is like taking his arm or a leg off, you leave him crippled on the battlefield, you take away his freedom. I won't go through that, and there are bunch of players that won't either.

You spend 70-80% of your BZ2 time in a scout. Changing the physics of the scout so much is CHANGING THE WHOLE GAMING EXPERIENCE, and I know that each time I get into one of those 1.3 scouts I just get frustrated by the thought of what's missing and how abnormal it behaves.

I don't get it why all those who don't like hover are fighting to get rid of it. There are many ways to keep the hover in the game, like I mentioned in my earlier post, without everybody whining about their bases being torned to pieces by it.

YES, I hate when my base gets hover raped by chain scouts, but NO I want to keep the hover in. Make rattlers shoot straight up, problem solved.

Hovering/Flying or whatever you want to call it might be a bug, considering how the game was originally meant to be played. Well, the game has been played, for 4 years now, and I find it weird that people at Pandemic, that probably never play this game or even thought about it for the past 4 years have their say about how the game should evolve.

CmptrWz

Lets put it this way:

Back in January of 2002 the last post on this page(assuming default options for # of posts per page and stuff) was made. People have still argued off and on since then, despite knowing what the outcome would be.

http://www.bzuniverse.com/~bz2cp/forum/forum.php?t=topic&fn=1&tn=1130&page=3

I might have been able to dig a little deeper to find a slightly older statement of it, but I didn't. I figure over two years was old enough, and two years is plenty of time to prepare yourselves.

So get over it :p

OvermindDL1

70% to 80% of time in a scout?  Give me a tank wish sp-stab to plasma to blast, with chain or laser, mdm morters, and a M-Curtain and I am happy,  Scouts are used to feed that kind of tank :P

aougli

I have hosted many FE strat games for the past year or so (about 20 a week).  If I ask people not to hover in the enemy base area, they don't hover in the enemy base area.  This does not take a heavy handed approach, people do not object to being asked not to hover in the enemy base area.  This is not some crazy idea on my part, mostly everyone is happy with it.  And Rec Def helps too.  Just as a point of interest, allowing hovering in the enemy base area makes a surprisingly small difference.  But that was in FE with Rec Def, Spikes, proper turrets.  People know what they want are are willing to go along with what makes sense.

BZZERKER

If the game had been released in it's current state (which it should have been) this wouldn't even be an issue. All you whining "I want my hover back" cry babies can go suck your pacifiers in 1.2 :evilish:  .

Sponge

I dont think you can call yourself a vet if you are so dependent on hovering.
Bz2 is a strategy game, use your head not your hover.