• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

annoying sound effects thingy

Started by Lizard, February 29, 2004, 04:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizard

OK I've heard a lot of people on here commending the new sound , so maybe this isn't a very common thing but on my system every sound effect is followed by a horrible little clicking kinda noise , this happens in the shell , in the game , everywhere . I've messed about with all the various audio options but to no avail , anyone else encountering this at all ?

system specs :

AMD athlon XP 2100+
Geforce 3
512 mb pc133 ram
Sound Blaster Live value
win XP pro

Commando

From changelog.txt

Quote- Added commandline switch, /slowaudio for systems that seem to
stutter for up to seconds when sfx are played. Specifically, this code
disables the duplication of audio header info added in 51f, and just
makes copies as needed. This is vastly less efficient, which is why I
called it /slowaudio. Thanks to GH for reporting it and testing out an
old build that seemed to work. [NM]

I recommend giving the command line /slowaudio a try.  If that doesn't work, I have no idea what the problem is.

GSH

Tried the /slowaudio commandline switch?

-- GSH

Lizard

ok , I've just tried /slowaudio and it does seem to have improved things a little , however it still doesn't sound quite right  I still get the odd pop and click while ingame although the frequency of them occuring does seem to be greatly reduced .

Thanks for the heads up , things are a great deal more bearable now . :)

Lizard, do you have the latest sound drivers?

I know that's usually a given but like "is it plugged in?" I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask...

-Av-

Lizard

I have some fairly recent sound drivers , not sure if they are the latest or not , downoaded them a month or 2 back .

I just did a quick comparison between 1.2 and 1.3 and sound is definately far more crackly/clicky in 1.3 , even with the /slowaudio switch enabled .

I've seen such issues with ESS SOLO based sound cards and Windows XP prior to the sound driver upgrade Windows Update provided about a month ago.  After that the crackling went away.

-Av-

GJC

If you have a VIA chipset on your mainboard update the chipset drivers, too.

deadscion

You can always replace the wav file used with something more exceptable.
or just copy a blank wav recording of like 2 or 3 sec. made with good ol windows sound recorder.

end of problem

Lizard

Quote from: deadscionYou can always replace the wav file used with something more exceptable.
or just copy a blank wav recording of like 2 or 3 sec. made with good ol windows sound recorder.

end of problem

It's not one particular .wav file that I'm having problems with , it's all sounds in general , the whole thing sounds terrible , I've also noticed that sounds seem kinda tinny now aswell .

I have the latest 4 in 1 drivers for my mother board installed aswell .

GJC

Lots of people have problems when putting Creative sound cards on boards with VIA chipsets. In many cases even updating drivers doesnt help. I myself finally purchased a new main board with Nforce2 chipset and my Audigy2 doesnt make problems anymore. Go to a Creative or VIA support forum and find other bit you might try with your case.

http://www.viahardware.com/

Lizard

My board does actually have an onboard sound card , I think my first move will be to give that a try , although I have a feeling I've had problems with it in the past .

GJC

Heh, I tried that wiith my old VIA board, too, but the onboard sound was incredibly low quality. Nforce2 is the first chipset that offers decent onboard sound.

technoid

I haven't had any problems with my main rig's integrated audio and I've been using it for 2+ years. It's a Crystal WDM at current driver release (or close).  Playback's hardware accel is at Full and sampling rate is at Good, if that helps.

Lizard

Ok well I've enabled the onboard sound card and removed my SB live card , it seems to have cured the problem will have to test a bit more and see for sure though, I only fired up the game and checked the sound in the shell .

My mainboard is a Chaintech CT-7AJA2   and the onboard sound chip is a Cmedia 8738/6CH .