• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Experiment Recycler Variant

Started by GreenHeart, March 01, 2004, 10:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BZ FeebleEffort

This is precicelsy the kind of testing that should have occured long ago.

I have never been a great fan of "full Hover games"..I have liked the "No Base Area Hover " games that are least 50% of 1.2 games.

Of course a shell option would satisfy everyone.

1 suggestion, shy away from 3 or 4 "rec variants" for this, there is already some "argueing" over  game settings in the shell....Options are great, but not at the price of being a bigger fight than the Battle.

I'd also like to see a tweak, that prevents the UPWARD movement of scouts. I can see where the physics achieve a Static hover,and the scouts do not sink...But to make a  acsending nose down scout is still a bit ridiculous.

As far as changes to the Sabres/Warriors...No way a Sabre should hover in any way shape or form.

ALSO..Once a "working" and universally acceptable scout is agreed upon, wider testing to determines its balance in real game situations is needed.

Already I've seen mentions of the warp attributed to the "new scout"..this is just the tip of the icebeg...You also have to factor in Scion Scouts and Drones. And he "bettter" physics should not create a "Super Scout" that is superior to tanks..etc etc...

appel

I noticed the link has been removed. I hope it's because you're working on a new release?  :?

Aegeis

If not I have a release ready for screwing with.

DarkFox

I believe the link was removed because GSH was pretty upset about flying being back in, even in the form of a 'server options' mod.
Don't expect it to stay possible in the final version of 1.3 that comes out.

appel

Does this mean we have to wait [months/a large portion of the year] for the next *beta*?

Quote from: BZ FeebleEffortThis is precicelsy the kind of testing that should have occured long ago.

<snippage>

Already I've seen mentions of the warp attributed to the "new scout"..this is just the tip of the icebeg...You also have to factor in Scion Scouts and Drones. And he "bettter" physics should not create a "Super Scout" that is superior to tanks..etc etc...

Welcome back...  hehe

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

The warp could be the speed exceeding the smoothing/prediction code.  Keep it real folks...   :lol:

-Av-

Commando

You can increase the smoothening code if the scout is too fast.  Remember there is the maxsmooth command in the console and the gameprefs file.

Speedy

Quote from: DarkFoxI believe the link was removed because GSH was pretty upset about flying being back in, even in the form of a 'server options' mod.
Don't expect it to stay possible in the final version of 1.3 that comes out.
Will he adjust the code to stop the hovering scouts? That could be possible.

Note: I suggested this because it was for the better of the community in a whole. Personally, I don't care for hover. I can have a fun game either way. Bz2 is the best game whether the bug is in or not.

OvermindDL1

I highly doubt GSH would touch the physics code, it is not his area and it already works, he wants to fix more things, not possibly break something else, he does not care how you mod it up, all modding does is increase the longevity.  People should stop being so paranoid, there is no reason to be.

technoid

The question remains if the infinite-flying bug cure in the core code has done anything it's supposed to do, even with these new 1.2-compatible odf re-tweaks being done. Or maybe it got broken somewhere along the way and no one noticed. Even then, I don't think hover will get nowhere as near as it "exactly" was in 1.2 with odf tweaking alone, whether or not people want it back exactly or some balance inbetween.

DarkFox

My viewpoint was based on a chat with wz, GSH, smokedog, and a couple of other non-private-beta players in the public lobby the other night. GSH made it pretty clear that it was going to be removed somehow. His response to finding out that flying was back in with this recycler mod, as a direct quote, was 'Flying is a bug, squashing it will be fun'.

Nathan also spoke a little about the current anti-flying solution, which he referred to as 'solution A', to hovering. Seeing that it had not worked, he spoke of coding 'solution B' into the next *private* beta release.

Since this conversation was held on an open IRC channel with plenty of witnesses, I can't see any reason it wouldn't be ok to mention it here, so I'm just spreading the word. Please delete this post if this information was something that wasn't supposed to get out.

My viewpoint? I hate hovering, but I view the current setup with the option as the best solution for all parties. That being said, the only reason I'd be displeased at the removal of the current setup is if it fractures the community, which it may well do.

appel

I believe GSH will try to prevent this in further releases.

"GSH will go back and limit ODF settings or some other nonsense which will kill hover permanently in the next version he creates." - Author: <will not give any names>

BZ FeebleEffort

Edited for the sake of calming down...for now...

Lizard

I think speculation at this point is a bad thing , we don't know what will happen yet , lets wait and see before making further comments guys , I would hate to see a repeat of the initial flame threads that occured straight after 1.3's release , especially when no-one knows for certain yet what will happen  .

Risa

Quote from: appelThanks to strange<fly>, Aegeis, Z and Bri I've reached a conclusion about some final tuning needed for the tanks and scouts so the balance in the game is preserved:

wheres me, fried, opp and pod?  :P  :D

But, it is a solution for both parties, hosts can set hovering on/off in a matter of speaking, so what's the big deal with it?

If its a bug wich will be fun squashing wait till you see its friends :evil: !