• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Dogfighting

Started by Fried, February 28, 2004, 07:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fried

Gota work on maxsmooth or something here.
Human to human dogfighting needs work any ideas and this isnt about hover.

Dirty Rooster

It needs work and analysis because we didn't get to
grips with it in pre-beta testing. Not enough online
vets to do it during enough games.
Now's the time with this public 1.3 beta, get strafing!!

Spacecomber

You may have noticed the following parameter that can be experimented with in the GamePres.ini file.

// Maximum percentage of a craft's normal forward velocity it may be
// smoothed by in MP. This applies only to units that are piloted by a
// remote user; AI units don't count. This value should be between 0.1
// and 5.0, where 1.0 means that the craft is allowed to travel up to
// 100% of its forward velocity per frame. BZ2 1.0-1.2 used 0.25,
// though that was based on an arbitrary max velocity of 45, not the
// craft's physics parameters. Setting this number higher will be
// slightly more jumpy, while lower numbers will tend to induce warp if
// remote players maneuver really quickly.
MaxMWSmoothPercentage = 0.4

There is also the following option, which I think is relevant, though I can't explain how.   :?  

// Flag to use the newest timeskew code. If false, the code from 1.2
// will be used instead. This option may go away at some point.
UseNewTimeskew = false

As far as I know, changing these and different people in the same game having different settings shouldn't be a problem with regard to resynchs, etc.; so, feel free to see if these can be adjusted to something that works better for you.

The MWF is now set by the host, though, and I think only adjustable via the shell.

Speedy

I really never understood those options, they are kinda vague. In my opinion, ships have to have larger starfe speed and higher acceleration.

Commando

You can change those options ingame by entering the following in the console.

network.newskew 0 = false   // This turns off the new timeskew.
network.newskew 1 = true   // This turns on the new timeskew.
network.maxsmooth [value]  
network.velsmooth [value]

Both maxsmooth and velsmooth work the same way.  You enter .1 for 10% and .15 for 15%.  For maxsmooth, don't enter a value less than .1 or you will run into problems.  velsmooth is an experimental value that defaults at 0.  Feel free to change this value to see if it helps you any.

I've tried a few games where the host used the old timeskew and I used the new timeskew.  The new timeskew seemed to be smoother to me, than the older one.  It is worth trying out if you are having problems.  

Just a warning.  It probably isn't a good idea for a client to use the new timeskew while the host uses the old timeskew.  It may result in frequent gamestates.  It didn't for me, but that doesn't mean it won't.

Fried

well ive tried messing with maxsmooth over the last 2 years, i'll try the timeskew thing next, that dogfighting last night wasnt nice was it speedy.

Speedy

It was "acceptable" but not really fun. We should try ODF changes to the scout because I think they will be more effective.

Commando

It will probably be best to create a new recycler that builds an experimental scout.  That way you avoid bad asset errors.  If someone joins that doesn't have the new recycler, they will be unable to enter the game.  I can help you with that if you want.

Speedy

Yes that'll be a great idea! I'll be on later in IRC once I do my homework. :-)

Fried

i didnt find them acceptable i was in a sabre for over 50% of that game and struggled to kill a scout with a blast laser mdm combo, this just dont happen to me in 1.2, i guess 1.3 doesnt like my 56k much.

Dirty Rooster

What mwf was on Fried??

I was in Lastman's hosted 2v2 earlier, my laser hit their scouts
and tanks quite normally ... which for me is an improvement.
BUT he was running us all on MWF 2

MWF 2

My settings were 1.3 default with min gfx at 100FPS.

Has everyone noticed the "Broadband/Modem" switch and have it set appropriately?

GreenHeart

Quote from: AvatarHas everyone noticed the "Broadband/Modem" switch and have it set appropriately?

That option can changed in the options after you log into bz2.

If your on Dialup(slow connections)  change the setting to Modem & if your on Cable\DSL  (high speed connection) set to BroadBand.
Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.

Quote from: Dx
Quote from: AvatarHas everyone noticed the "Broadband/Modem" switch and have it set appropriately?

Yes, what does it do?
my 56k does alright online now, 180 ping usually. :) (with full details and 50 to 150 fps)

- Added network connection type button to the general game options.
[Those trying to get cute and make an interface to adjust this ingame,
don't bother-- it's read on entering the network code (before it scans
for sessions), and never read after that.] The
network.session.sendtwice variable is now set (though the console may
not reflect its current setting) based on this-- clients will
sendtwice if the server is on broadband; servers will sendtwice if all
clients are on broadband. Right now, the code doesn't support
per-client sendtwice settings, but that may be something to look into
for the future.  [NM]

Fried

Rooster im not sure what mwf the server was on though i dont think it was that low, as you know i always play on 2 in 1.2 games.

Ive tried several settings over the period i have been in the 1.3 beta group and it has never been good for me in multiplay, im gona run some tests over my lan and see if it's my con causing the trouble with 1.3, if indeed it is then i wont be playing 1.3 in strats at all.

BTW ive played in many 1.2 strats with the server using sendtwice and myself still being on the modem and everything was normal .

But yes for the last 2 years 1.3 has been running in modem mode.