• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Mortar Bikes piloted by humans

Started by aougli, March 03, 2004, 10:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhoeniX-FlamE

QuotePF, if you are high enough to out of range of GT's you won't be pinpointing tiny little service trucks. Your "lol" makes you sound stupid. I would love to play some of you loudmouths on a LAN.

While I made sure my base was being healed (RT's in base too), I would have my teamates launch an assalt on your base, with a pile of AI units.

when ur in tank u notice those "lil tiny trucks" and target them... at least in 1.2 vet starts... with DEFAULT FOV

and who said i need to outrange the gts? just strafe from side to side and u can doge all their shots

oh and why do we need lan? whats wrong with internet? if its just limited number of ppl there is no warp / lag [at least on 1.2...]

MowerMan

Now your talking two different issues.  One minute we were talking "high flying" and mortar bombing (nose-hovering), then you change the concept to being on the ground strafing around (which I completely agree with AV about human piloted MB's on the ground).  Make up your mind.

I'm playing on a laptop right now, with dial-up.  I would be at a severe disadvantage (unless I was hosting, then it would be an advantage, but on the laptop I probably would still be at a disadvantage).  In any event, playing over the internet is not a level playing field.  That's why when I do play online, I play with my good-natured buddies who understand that I may lag out, or just suck-out because of network conditions.

I'm not saying I'm a great player, just that I'm sure I'm good enough to shut you up.  I'm not one to brag about my prowess...  All the women I've been with do that for me!

AcneVulgaris

Well then, your laptop sucks!  I play on a laptop, and get 60 fps pretty steadily, with full graphics options at 640x480.

My laptop can beat up YOUR laptop!

Zero Angel

I believe someone ordered a bitchslap?  :D
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

PhoeniX-FlamE

dont brag AV :D

and mower.. why do you taking everything so seriously? like the topic i told you to stop posting and start playing (i cant find it and 2 tired + lazy to serach) - i was joking :\

anyways try to get a stable computer and lets get some games rollin.. will be nice to see old players on the field

and if u wanna get back to hovering - u can still target them just fine from air.. u see their regining in the lil picture then u just target the truck.. and its not hard dodging that slow ass plasma 200 m in air

oh about ordering an attack on my base - usualy dumb thugs will try to shoot the mtr bikes and if im the cmdr or other one i belive he'll stay in a tnak / scout to defend his base + it just takes the spirit of the oppiste team... there was a good example in ZST game - where mrt bikes are less faster / better than 1.2

and they just got in a walker and the other team just gave up... it just ruined the game... not even because they did much damage...

MowerMan

He he he PF...  I'm almost never serious or take myself too seriously.  Bunch of the old timers know that about  me, I just yank peoples chains all the time.  I'm really harmless.  If you wanna just fark around sometime and play, no bragging rights either way, fully knowing it way be crappy, then I'll jump in a game if I see ya.  I'm in it for the fun.

I know it pretty easy to not get hit at 200m up...  It just hard to consistantly hit stuff oln the ground from that height, while you are trying to maintain reticle position.  MDM's require a direct hit to detonate, so while they do more damage, they may end up bouncing away from the intended target.  Standard mortar is almost better for air bombing (less damage, but you can carry more).  If you can keep a steady stream direct hit MDM's, then yeah, you're are talking about some serious damage.  I would be in my base, to at least 20 service trucks and RT's (that I keep ordering to attack you anytime I can get a lock the flyer), and be doing everything I can to hose you aim at the same time.  It's definitly not fun playing a game like that.

Actually AV, this laptop isn't too bad.  It a 1.2 Pentium3, with a Radeon Mobility , and 256MB, which I believe is shared by the graphics chip.  It runs SP at 800X600 pretty good, but stutters in big bases (or just randomly sometimes).  I have to get my fried tower going again (well, fried Abit MB and Pentium4 2.4).

AcneVulgaris

Ancient tech, Mower!

I've had this machine for almost two years...P4 2.1ghz, 512 ram, Radeon 9000 with its very own 64 meg.   Such things are quite reasonably priced these days...though it wasn't so reasonalble at the time.

I was in the same situation you are in...fried tower, and inadequate laptop...but I made the cash sacrifice to raise bz to it's full glory!  

(Didn't hurt that it was a nice fat tax deduction, but STILL....)

MowerMan

Yeah it is pretty ancient AV.  I was surprised it would play BZ2 at all, but it much better than the P3 667, GeForce 256 32MB I started playing with.  Yeah, I can't believe the prices of all computer hardware these days.  You could do a nice three system LAN system to play BZ on that would be cheaper than the machine I started playing BZ2 on, and each individual machine would kick the crap out of the 667 system!

FlashFire

PhoeniX-FlamE

just shoot exactly at the red point and walla! a perfact hit ;) (might take you 5 more secs each shot to get your aim on the red dot without falling 2 much)

and even when not hovering the base all the time... just watching mortar bikes running on the field while u cant do anything to stop them... chasing is a waste of time
shooting is a waste of ammo
and with them running back and forth to other enemy base even if its just to kill a gt or just disturb the other thugs with mortaring near them or sometiems even hit which is quite nice damage - just annoying lil bastards

MowerMan

Well I know it to be harder than you represent PF.  I'm not saying it's not very annoying, I'm saying I would survive, pretty easily even with two or three guys bombing me from 200m straight up.  Yeah, you  might kill some service trucks, or take down a building, but they will get rebuilt before you can replenish your ammo..

The service trucks are a little dumber than there were in 1.2.  I was against the "smart" service trucks.  The service trucks were always meant to automatically service combat units (and at the time, GT's were a vehicle and not a building, but they may have been changed back), and they had to be ordered explicitly to service buildings.  Now they seem to not always service vehicles right next to them, but sometimes they do, including GT's.

PhoeniX-FlamE

ya but its so damn annoying :\ and takes some of your spirit away - knowning u cant do hoot just wait to rebuild

Weevil

@ Mower: Sry for digging up old stuff, but I haven't beeen here for some days: I just wanted to say, as you're calling me a loudmouth not knowing what I talk about: Although I didn't know much about real human vs human matches or the like all those years ago, I still wasn't too stupid to know what a console is and how to find a command to alter fogrange and visibility range...   Of course I don't have any prove of it, but for myself, I am sure that I have won at least a dozen of instant games with just one simple stock mortar bike and no more than one or two ammo reloads; hovering above the rec far out of the range of any gunspire. TV is of course right that this was 1.0 bikes, and if I'm honest, I don't even have a clue about what changes have been made to how a bike works for a human pilot in newer versions of BZ2 so far, because, as already stated, I haven't flown any bike during the last nearly 3 years.
When I got my first 56K internet connection and tried to play some DMs in a hover bike. All those games were warpy as hell and of course human piloted units are also much quicker than AI-ones, so I hardly got any hits and when someone told me human piloted bikes were restricted, i gave up on that habit (had time enough to get bored of it in SP anyway) and moved on to real tactics ^^
So...  well...  I'm not a very good player either and terribly out of practise and out of time to actually play more than once a month, but still I think I'm good enough to not be shut up if you insist on challenging me for a 1on1 (which I would happily accept anytime when I've got the time).

MowerMan

I don't recall calling you anything.  I've won many sp missions the same way.  I've also played missions where service trucks and constructors heal and rebuild stuff, and it becomes not so easy.  It is not easy to score direct hits consistantly from that high up.  I didn't say it was impossible.