• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

BZ 2 1.3 Editor problems

Started by Der Vampyr Engel, March 02, 2004, 04:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Der Vampyr Engel

I can't place any units in the editor anymore and I can't seem to have my tank stay still, it keeps warping in and out of the blank map provided, is anyone else having problems with the editor, because I can't place , buildings, units, anything, I even tried putting in the clean1 map in so I could start  testing and it doesn't show up in the instant missions listings.

Can someone please help? I wish to test an idea which I think will work if the editor is working so I can have allies as well as enemies

OvermindDL1

Seems to work well for me, I have been making a few maps for BZ2 as of late to do some testing, everything seems to work perfect.

deadscion

This editor like the 1.2 editor only saves the top 5 files

bzn
wat
sky
ter
trn

Use a blank map from commandline option to start the editor this works the best. Loading a map from the load button is not always reliable because the editor does not seem to reference the folders the same way as bz2 game does.

Also this editor starts out with no map at all and needs one. I think it would be nice if the editor did have a choice of default blanks(4 sizes), but this is easy enough to do in the shortcut. "C:\Battlezone2\bz2edit.exe" /nointro myblankmap.bzn

you have to create the inf, odf, and whatever else you feel the map requires and place files together in a folder.
Don't know how to do an INF or ODF? pick a map which works the same way as your new map and modify a few names in the inf and Odf files to use with your new map.

where you locate the folder will tell BZ2 which menu to use it with.

In the case of 1.3, it appears the best place to locate a map file is in the main addon folders:

Battlezone2/addon/instant/
Battlezone2/addon/missions/multiplayer/3rd party
Battlezone2/addon/missions/multiplayer/CTF
Battlezone2/addon/missions/multiplayer/DM
Battlezone2/addon/missions/multiplayer/KOTH
Battlezone2/addon/missions/multiplayer/loot
Battlezone2/addon/missions/multiplayer/MPI
Battlezone2/addon/missions/multiplayer/Race
Battlezone2/addon/missions/multiplayer/ST

just depends on the type of map you are making.

I don't know what your understanding of the editor is but I put this stuff out there just in case. Maybe this can eliminate some of your "bugs".

Der Vampyr Engel

Right I was using Lizards 2.0 editor where all Ihad to o was open the game in the editor and then press ctrl~e and I would get the editor up, then use the place control to place units from the game or test out new units, as for using bzn I DID!!!!!!!! Still I will try again I think I know how to do the ODF.'S deadscion just about :P

Hang on a minute, thats problalbly where I am going worng I press control~e and all I get is an IDSF tank, I can change the sky, the texture colour but thats about it I can't place any units in the map, I will have to have a look at the commandline option get into the editor and see how that works

I tried your command line option dead scion but it didn't work I will go to modifier and see how to use the command line option

Der Vampyr Engel

Sorry, false alarm my mistake editor works just fine, I think its because that blank map has no missions or anything apart from the player ODF ISDF tank is why you can't get all the edito functions, work fine with all the other maps and I located the Battlezone Clean.BZN map I put it in the wrong folder(The addon 2004 folder with the classic maps), It works fine now. 8)

OvermindDL1

Might I suggest the Winter utility over at TimeDisruptor.  It can create some nice blank maps, or nice bumpy maps following a picture, among many other things, one of the most useful external utilities ever for BZ2 map making.

Der Vampyr Engel

The winter utiliy? OK thanks OvermindDL1

IceWendigo

I added /edit at the end of properties go in bz2 start any AI map press ctrl-E and nothing happens. I launched from the dos command line with bzone.exe /edit and the same thing. I even started normally when at the console level and typed   game.cheat bzeditor
and still nothing?
Ive read the tutorial over and over, I must be missing something?

CmptrWz

You want bz2edit.exe for editing. Treat it like you would bzone.exe in 1.2, just for editing.

IceWendigo

Black Hunter

Unfortunately, modders such as myself cannot use bz2edit.exe like the 1.2 editor. Like many, the change in editing will require some getting used to, but I feel I must point out my little beef before 1.3 is finalized and end up regretting I kept my mouth shut.

With the editor up to 1.2, I could easily enter a pre-made (IA or SP) mission and test the fruits of my labor, be they weapons or the odd cut&paste unit or building. In addition to already having terrain and a recycler under me, there was also an enemy that would attack me, providing the actual opportunities to readily test things under SP battle conditions. Now in the 1.3 editor, I'm in a tank, and nothing else, not even terrain. Since I know very little, if anything about mapping, it would seem there is much I need to learn before I can "get back on track" as it were. As to why I don't just use the 1.2 editor, the reason is simple: 1.2 is no 1.3.

As to wut I would like to see done about this, I would like for the patch crew to consider implementing the Single Player, or at least Instant Action mode into the editor executable. It would definitely make the life of any modder easier.

Oh, and for those of you who think I have no right calling myself a modder, please talk to Tempest Storm.

CmptrWz

Black Hunter:

DLLs don't work right in the editor. In general at this point. However, if you load a map from the command line like you would in 1.2 you can still be on the map. The enemy will just be a tad out of it.

Build your map in 1.3 editor, then swap out to 1.3 main, using the same map. MM5 can do this easily(uncheck the /edit box, maybe tell it to use your newly saved map filename).