• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

On Thin Ice (Mission 11 single player)

Started by tarquin1048, March 05, 2004, 06:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarquin1048

This has been tweaked with the 1.3 patch and it has become an impossible mission to complete! You have tank, scout and turret. You hold tight and take the first 2 wave of attacks then you start to take your recycler and transporter over the ice to nav point. On the way FIVE Warriors attack you and surprise,surprise you are totally obliterated and mission fails!!!! What chance do you have with 1 tank, 1 turret,and 1 scout to all that?? Has anyone completed it and if so what is the secret??

SilverB1rd

I think there was some action taken to try and stop that fire warrior rush might not have work.

technoid

You have to cover your tracks just like your wingman survivor recommended (the one with that Brit/Aussie accent).  If you do that, you won't get bothered while getting your Rec across the ice... maybe 2-3 enemy units, but that should be it.  Once you deploy Rec, take the nearest 3 pools and build turrets (and scavs for loose scrap).  This is on Hard skill for singleplayer (as enabled in the options menu).

BZZERKER

This was the first really brutal mission I came across when it was in private. I think I had just enough time to get the 3 pools and build a couple rats before "the real rush" came. IIRC there was something like 2-3 Warriors, 2-3 Lancers and a Sentry or 2 that give you a good work over. Getting the first GT up is kind of a challange but once you do things get better. Oh yeah, you think this mission is hard, wait until you get to "Payback" ;)

technoid

Another way to make "On Thin Ice" a little easier is to snipe some of the units as they start grouping for the waves after you deploy your Rec.  Snipe very quickly!
Shhh, don't tell this to anybody.   :D

tarquin1048

I'm refering to the attack whilst you are taking your recycler across the ice, I am half way to reaching the nav point when 5 warriors attack me and with myself (tank) 1 turret and 1 scout you have no chance!

BZZERKER

Do you use the satchel charge to destroy the dropship? If not that might be your problem. I've only ever seen 1 warrior and 1 sentry at that part of the mission.

Bull

Yes,make sure you blow up the dropship right away with satchel charge (c button),then you should only get 1 warrior and 1 sentry on the way to nav. Then watch out! I think you'll get about 3 warriors and a lancer or 2 as soon as your rec deploys.

technoid

Yep, that's what I meant by covering your tracks.  Listen to your wingman.  He says it's better to destroy the downed dropship.  So stick that satchel somewhere near the hull of the dropship and move away.  You shouldn't see too many Scions alerted to your persons as you go through the thin ice.  Use the ice rhino's to clear the ice or change to blue vector radar view.  You'll see the path very clearly on that radar without even having to break the ice.  Am I saying too much?  :D

MowerMan

Well this mission is definitly on overdrive.  I just get my recycler planted and I get a rush of warriors, sentrys, and lancers.  Just ridiculous numbers of units.

It's harder than it ever was just getting the recycler to the drop off point.

technoid

MowerMan

Yeah, something like that.  What I'm seeing would be ridiculous for a "hard" setting, and I using the default "medium" setting..

Bull Dog

On Thin Ice Mission 11 heres what I did to get past when the hords of enemy come after Recycler is deployed. If when they start coming you can hop out and get a Lancer it will make the rest pretty much easy.

Remember to SAVE your game after the recycler deployes.

MowerMan

No one unit would possibly make a difference in what I'm seeing.  This mission always had hordes of units, but they are coming in before you can even get a gun tower up.  I'm talking like 20 units or so (5 warriors or so spraying plasma), as soon as you can get your first scav deployed.  It's just plain silly.  I know the mission is not supposed to be like this.

SilverB1rd

has anyone checked to see if some units where left after a map edit?