• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

What are the advantages to modding in 1.3?

Started by BZDraconian, March 19, 2004, 11:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BZDraconian

I see more disadvantages in 1.3 than there are advantages.

There needs to be at least a patch for the editor alone to fix all the problems with it.

There are sound errors, and worst of all I cannot view DLLs with it.
Also, the object lists that come with it sucks.
I replaced that with one I downloaded a while back.

Overall, the editor kinda sucks.

I want to be able to play some of the single player maps with bigger guns that I made. It would've been alot better if they had just kept it the way it was and found a different way to fix the multiplayer editor cheat.
But if they just release a patch that allows DLLs to be used in the editor, I don't mind manually loading up each single player mission as long as I get to blow everything up by placing day wreckers all over the place.

I have moved back to 1.2 for editing for the time being until those errors are fixed.

Also, How do I play bot matches in 1.3?

The "Extra Options" tab doesn't do anything.

However, one of my favorite things in 1.3 is the ability to see explosions from really far away. I have this one map I made, I set the visibility to 950, and used one of my favorite weapon combinations.
Kamehameha - A weapon based off the plasma, purple colored, big explosion. I made this one
Star gun - Globes of plasma that do lots of damage when they hit. I made this one.
Omega Particle- Some other guy made it, really big bang and lots of damage... Almost like a scaled down DaBomb. OR Star Ball- Gigantic ball of plasma that has a big explosion and also pushes all the vehicles caught in the bang away at high speed. They shoot off like fireballs in all directions. I made this one.

Launch- Basically the jet pack for vehicles. I can still use the tank like a jet fighter. Someone else made this one.

I fly around, and I shot an Omega particle behind this one hill and I saw the flash even though I was 800 meters away. It was awesome.

Also, when I go really fast, sometimes in 1.2 I would fly out of the map and an AV would occur. Now, I bounce around like a bouncy ball on the radar. XD

Slaor

"I see more disadvantages in 1.3 than there are advantages."

Pfft.

Lets see: stability, bugfixes, new race fixes, branching build menus, new configuration options, multiple service bays etc, commandable GTs and infantry, weapon expiry explosions, "hunt" command enabled etc etc. Oh yeah, FX culling fixed.

Read the changelog.

The editor is fun for messing around, but it's removal from the base engine was necessitated by those who used it for evil in MP.  I think it's worth it to have one less MP weakness...

For messing around leave a 1.2 install going.  In this day and age HD space shouldn't be that much of an issue...

-Av-

OvermindDL1

Let's see, I have 5 installs of BZ2, 8 installs of Total Annihilation, 2 installs of UT2k4 (yes each install takes 5.5 gigs) and about one install of about 50 more games, in addition to about 25 gigs of programming software.

technoid

Don 't forget the 26 simultaneous races (well, in theory ATM).   :D

Artighel

Talking about the excellent game Total Annihilation : what about making a BZ2 "Total Annihilation" mod ??? with the original Arm and Core units, could be fun... and drag players who loved this unique RTS :)

OvermindDL1

I always thought of that, I even made a resourcing system like TA in a dll once, but modeling abilities are lacking for me, would need some good people to do those :P

Hmm, perhaps just a TA to BZ2 format converter, they are already low quality...

Slaor

Playing as the commander would be way funky :) With 1.3's branching build menus its very doable, but as OM said there'd be lots of modelling involved.

From memory TA uses .COB format models which may or may not be standard Truespace objects. If they are and can be easily imported at least into TS then it'd just be a matter of XSI conversions and ODFs. Would be very cool at Epic scale (but I won't doing it ;))

Sponge

I remember some guy was around ages ago always telling us how he was doing a TA mod, i never took him seriously

Tempest Storm

Quote from: OvermindDL1Hmm, perhaps just a TA to BZ2 format converter, they are already low quality...

There is a TA Model format Importer/Exporter for MAX 3 + 4 actually. :)

DarkFox

Ya sponge. That's why I believe it's best to at leavt 50% finish a mod before you announce it.

Scout

OMGOMG H@X 8 installs of TA :D

WE GOTA play sum time :P

um salor isnt it *.3do?

Slaor

Yeah might well be - just remember seeing references to COB on a modding page a while back...

OvermindDL1

Well actually it is 12 installs now, I made a few more directories to install a couple more mods for it.  i reinstalled windows as of late so I am still reinstalling everything...

BZDraconian

They did not have to seperate the editor from the main executable. I am sure there was a smarter, better way to fix the MP editor cheat than to screw up the entire editor.

I hope they or someone comes out with a patch to fix that damn editor.