• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Proposal for getting things on this board less confusing

Started by Weevil, March 19, 2004, 03:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OvermindDL1

Quote from: Zero AngelHow about common sense?

(bug/AV) Mytopicname - for any AVs or wierd bugs, ie: Knights post on the commbunker death.

(exploit) Mytopicname - for things such as multibombing, using console commands to equip your scout with SP-Stabs, etc.

(balance) MyTopicName - for any NON-FRIVOLOUS discussions affecting balance. Ie: the satchel topic wouldnt fall under this, but Jwk's truck topic might.

(suggestion) MyTopicName - for any useful features, such as suggesting that the winning team name be put in the gamestats logfiles.

This should be a lot less open to interpretation then Major/minor.

I still say this would work well.

Speedy

I also think its more informative than major/minor. Those catagories pretty much cover it all. I think the topic creator should be able to choose the topic catagory and then let moderators change the topic's name if its inappropiate (which they can do already). It shouldn't be much of a problem.

Yes hemp, we know you introduced it at these boards. No need to boast yourself. ;)

DarkFox

It is more informative, yes, in the same way that reading a post is more informative than reading just the title.
The beauty of having 'major, minor' labels is that it gives a very quick way of seeing which problems to deal with first.
Either idea is a good one, but the idea of 'major, minor' etc strikes me as nicer from a developers point of view, depending, of course, on whether that developer is capable of looking at all areas - balance, bugs et al.

As for moderation - this board does strike me as a little over-moderated, especially considering how well we got on with the COMPLETELY UNMODERATED pandi forums back in the day.

Huscar

Let's vote for it! Make a poll:
1 more moderator rights and labeling
2 split toppics for bugs and balance + moving all the kinda mod proposal toppics to the maps & mods section
3 1 & 2.
:D

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

So what happens if 45% of the board disagrees with the final motion?

How about this

We inculde the great idea of deviding the topics into (bug/AV) (exploit) (balance) and (suggestion)....and we stick 'MAJOR, Medium, minor' (typed like that exactly) infront of them.

This means its easy to understand quickly what the topic is about, and those with time-pressure can only read th MAJOR ones. If someone thinks that a topic is mislabeled...they can bring it up in that topic, and the writer gets to deicde what happens.
The time and effort it would cost to solve the very few posts that will be mislabeled is not worth the benifits.

Huscar

You just voted 3.

Anyway, I don't like the labelling idea, if something really important that absolutelly neads fixing is posted the usual moderators will set MAJOR before it, all the other labels are useless as it is GSH's choice to decide whether to fix something or not (if he ever comes back to finish 1.3), the labels would only be for HIM, so he can see what the bogs are and he is the only one who can fix them. All things that do not require GSH are mods, sp they should be moved to the maps & mods section, there is so much trash here.

See, I just voted 2.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

But they are not just for GSH. It is my idea, i understand the motives behind it and i think that this so called 'option 3'...is the one that should be implimented, automatically. It works the best, doesnt haev Flame wars because of moderators making mistakes and it does also has all of the advantages of 1 and 2. Making it the winner by default.

Huscar

It isn't automatically better, the labelling may result in futher insultation of 2 sides as the moderators will say somewere minor while the writer regards it as MAJOR, but if the actual moderators would make only MAJOR labels it would be OK

EDIT: Anyway I think we should go for 3 as, even if I like it less, it seems to be the most agreable thing, but still, I think we shoudn't have new moderators, you only need some labels, not all immidiatelly. Well, what do the moderators think?

Huscar

Well, that's the reason neither me nor JWk wanted 1, you won't keep ppl from posting here, so if we can separate bugs from the rest that might be usefull.