• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Why about setting Multiworld Frequency to 1 for all games ?

Started by Artighel, March 20, 2004, 07:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkFox

QuoteMWF 1 means that the player´s worlds are updated with the servers world ten times per second.
Actually, that's wrong. MWF 1 means that the player's LOCAL graphics world is updated with the player's LOCAL network world ten times per second.

The rate at which the server updates the clients' network worlds  might well not exist. It's certainly more frequently than once a second, it's not effected by MWF settings, and there's a perfectly good chance that it actually doesn't have a lockstep-style frequency at all, instead simply sending mesages for movement, attack etc as they happen.

GJC

Quote from: DarkFoxI don't understand what makes you think this would increase network traffic.

I´d assume, since it is the server who decides "what is really going on" there is some network traffic between the clients and the server at each lockstep. But I just dont know.

DarkFox

GJC - the key here is understanding how the BZ2 multiworld system really works. Each computer running battlezone2 in multiplayer effectually has 2 'worlds' running - a network world, which is updated by the server at some unknown rate, and a graphics world. These two local worlds are synchronised at a rate determined from the MWF setting.

QuoteIt doesn't increase the network traffic, but it causes additional processing on the part of the CPU (a great deal infact) which can cause it to miss updates.

Agreed, the same way as a high graphics setting can put too much strain on a CPU, and cause a computer to miss updates. My point is that whether the player is on a modem or BB connection makes no difference, it's all about how fast a player's CPU is.

GJC

LOL youre too fast 4 me.

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like Ive learned something again. :-)

PhoeniX-FlamE

err how do u explain then...

server is on mwf 4...

you and another one are on 4 as well.... preaty clean... lil warps..

then he changes to 1 and well - u cant hit him anymore...
while if u change to 1 as well u might have a chance of less warping

and the server havnt changed anything.. only because one of the players changes to 1 he started warping freakin badly

*GEL*Victorius[gm]

your comp can't handle mwf 1 then, thats why I cant go mwf 1 on my comp :D

DarkFox

Simple pheonix - the server can't handle MWF 1, and as such when it's set to one, his computer is overstressed, and starts dropping network packets.

PhoeniX-FlamE

then why only the one with mwf1 warps while the others are cool?

+ even when a server can hold mwf1 all warps cause of mwf1... while if all were on 4 it would've been preaty smooth... only cause one is on1 another one on 2 etc....

and i find it that if im on 1 i cant hit ppl with 2.... but if i go to 2 almost perfact :o

Dirty Rooster

I think the server has a lot to deal with, especially
in 1.2 rather than 1.3 games.

For instance, in a 1.2 vet strat 4v4 there could be
3 people on mwf4,    people mwf2 and     3 people mwf1
forcing the server to send updates at mwf1, 2 and 4.
I wonder if that causes extra load than if they
are all on the same mwf (like in 1.3) even if that
same mwf is 2 or 1.

I wonder if anyone with the real knowledge can answer that??

SilverB1rd

again please read this

MWF has no effect on the amount of network traffic.

please return to the top and start reading again.

the only case where it would add to the load would be if one of the computers could not hadle the strain and was falling behind. fps < 10

Dirty Rooster

And yet in my experience a player with mwf1 and decent fps
has an advantage in doggyfighting over and above the
tracking of warp of his enemies, if those enemies are using mwf
4 or higher.
The decent (40+) fps would indicate his comp is not under
undue strain, and is sending all the network stuff it should be,
yet his low mwf gives him an advantage.
Dropping fps due to too-high graphics does NOT give the same
advantage in doggyfights as dropping  fps due to too-low mwf.

I therefore doubt mwf is a purely client setting, and does infact
affect player-to-player network traffic.

Fps going under 10 messes up doggyfighting ability in a
completely negative way, and messes up the whole online
game for the server and other players.
I found under 20 fps to be pretty bad too.

DarkFox

Rooster - going down to 40 fps will make your ship start to wap. I tested this with graphics settings over a LAN, and the framerate is pretty much directly proportional to warp, whether that framerate is induced by graphics or MWF settings.

The only advantage a player with a decent framerate gains from using MWF1 is in tracking his enemies better, and yes, it really does make that much differece. Just think, he's getting *twice* the positional accuracy of someone on MWF2. 10 times the accuracy of someone on MWF10. With most commonly-used weapons, such as minis or chains, this translates pretty closely to damage, and as such the MWF1 player will slaughter the MWF4 player with relative ease.

PhoeniX-FlamE

so bascily ur saying that using low mwf gives advantge over some1 with high mwf - thats all what i needed to hear...

anyways how come that if some1 is on mwf2 and im on 1 he warps real bad for me but if i change to 2 i can hit him fine... isnt 1 supposed to be better then 2?

DarkFox

Pheonix - that sounds like MWF1 is overtaxing your computer, hence causing dropped packets on your network, and as such making it hard to hit people because of increased warp. Rest assured they'll have trouble hitting you too, which is great if you're pummel-rushing their rec...
exploits, exploits... thank god MWF is fixed now.

PhoeniX-FlamE

im ususaly on 4...
and well if im on 2 and some1 is 1 i cant hit him... but if i go to 1 i cant hit him but the not the ones with 2... can hit all others exept those that usees 2.. :s

the mwf in 1.3 is great