• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Why about setting Multiworld Frequency to 1 for all games ?

Started by Artighel, March 20, 2004, 07:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I tthink your all wrong> It means how many times durring a game the host has to go pottie :rollingpin:

Arcane

Lemme check to see if Ive got this right, dont hesitate to correct me because Im not even trying to understand half of this. I need to find out the MWF that works best for me on my computer. Right? Then set my games to that? But I think PF was saying that that would make it difficult for me to hit other players that have a higher MWF. So far so good?

PhoeniX-FlamE

MWF is gay,

my exprience with mwf so far - the lower u go the harder ur to hit

and no, i only had this problem awhaile ago, when i had to play mwf1 vrs ahem

anyways, some of them used 1 while some of them used 2... when i went 1 - i could hit the 1's but not the 2s, but when i went 2 - i could hit the 2s but not the 1s

this is just my exprience, all the real explantion of what mwf is supposed to do preaty much crash with what i just said though, so what i said - technicaly doesnt make sense, but thats the way it is (or was)

Arcane

So that doesnt happen to you anymore when you set your MWF? Or does it not happen to you because you think MWF is gay (therefor you dont mess with it anymore)?

PhoeniX-FlamE

i find it im stable on 3 mostly, if everyone warps badly and my fps can handle it i move to 2

i stopped my testing (including using 1 sometimes) and im mostly on US servers now, and im euro - so lag is expected - more then the german (or other euro) servers

spAce

DarkFox is very right in this. Even LAN games start to warp badly if one of machines is running with low framerates.

I think that server/player running over 2.5Ghz/2500+ can handle mwf1  :o
Whats the reason why games with 60 units and full bases freeze ???
(3d cards affect bz2 graphics performance in a minimal way, graphics seem to be morely calculated by CPU)

Usually i cant play strat no more than 60 minutes cause at that moment framerate is unplayable...

The reason why N0|<0mment's SO Mod dosent lag as much as other stuff is that there are less things to coordinate...
btw great work with it No|<  :)

EDIT: Lately i have encountered a fact that some bz2 vet players have learned a way how to use bz2 warp intentionally/as an advantage.
There seems to be some kind of unit speed limit what bz2 engine is capable to smooth (make warpless).
Some learned a way how to shoot enemy's hull to 50/100 health before enemy is able to hit attacker/get visual image from attacker
(This can be easily done with especially scout cause of its high speed, but even a tank can reach enough speed in skilled hands to do this). All these "lag attackers" have putted automatic leveling off and absolute pitch on from bz2 options page, after that they accelerate with nose down + e-key classic high speed acceleration (bug) to get the maximun speed. After they have maximum speed they run to a side of the enemy (they dont reduce speed before they are very close to enemy) and shoot...it takes really long time before enemy realises what is happening to him, cause there is no visual attacker/nobody to target/nobody to avoid. Attacker appears visual/hitable after about ~4 seconds. These 4 seconds can ruin the whole fun of bz2 mp strat...
Occasionally it is really hoot to play in vet strats..........cause people really know how to kill...

Simply: BZ2 units are too fast for BZ2's engine. I think game makers never knew how high speed units can reach in skilled hands.
No doubt, this is the heaviest of all bugs in BZ2...

It really pisses me off that i cant do no hoot to repair this.
(i dont understand C++ and there is no permission to rewrite bz2 code)

Any chance someone could fix this ?

Fried

You counter with the same manouver and be aggresive in teams to their nearest pools. BTW it's A_W_E and nosedown in 1.2 and W_E nosedown in 1.3.

Basic rule in bz is if they do it so can you.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

I always thought wouldnt it be better to remove that bug...and replace it with a Boost function for hover vechiles?

The boost would be whereyou press S + A + D ...it takes a split second to activate, turns off your weapons when it starts and then propels you forward much faster.

by making the paramaters of the boost determined by the ODF

By implimenting this system you can get rid of the nose down bug...but Keep the gameplay

E.g....the 'turning off of weapons' replaces the 'pointing weapons into the ground.

the split second delay before boost starts' replaces the ' split second delay having to point the nose down'.

the increase in speed via boost replaces the....increase in speed due to the bug.

the 'reduced abilty to straf' whilst using boost replaces the '' using straf thrusters in an inflexeble way''.

Making the whole hover craft class [boost] paramters dependant on whats inside the odf's would make it easy to tweak and edit to what the vets find fun.

And I am betting a boost system would be less taxing on the server than pointing nose down because it wouldnt tax the in-game physics code so much.

It would also mean players would actually *look* at the maps they were playing. I had gotten so used to using nose down that when i actually didnt use it i was pleasntly suprized by how good the maps looked...even though i had played them 100s of times before.

Fried

BZ has survived so long due to it's gameplay why change it now hemp, I actually like having the long time players keep playing.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

yeah...thats the point. This 'boost' system would be designed to *not* change the gameplay. Just replace one area of the gameplay with what is the same thing...but less laggy....more realistic....easily changed if vets feel the need to change parts of it....

*and* maps would actually get looked at.

Commando

The main problem with the W, A, E boost is the fact that a ship's speed will exceed the smoothening code.  With 1.3, this is adjustable fortunately.  I was always disappointed that the Q wasn't binded to slower thrusters and W binded to faster thrusters like in bz1.  If your boost idea could be implemented, Q could be transformed into the boost button.  I don't know if many would embrace the change though.  Just look at 1.3's player base for an example.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

yes, thats just it. If you had the boost function done in a certain way it would not cause problems with the smoothing code.

Also, since you make the 'boost' function as not an attempt to 'eradicate the bug that is nose down'...but instead to *fully* replace all aspects of it....then you end up with a game thats just as fun, if not more..to play.....and tactically/stratigically identical.

btw i use q for weapon switching, i would personally prefer the idea of having to press several buttons at once...it *feels* like your making the ship boost or something heh.

You could even stick a simple AI code that means if it is with in a certain distance from an enemy it wont use boost....thus giving the illusision that the pilots are intelligently thinking about it....if you wanted to that is. I would personally just leave it out.

OvermindDL1

Heck, to make it look like you are going faster, have it adjust the fov to a lower amount the faster you go... all of this is just thoughts, it will not happen...