• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Wobble kill and hover killing in 1.3

Started by Michael, March 21, 2004, 02:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: HuscarIf the world ever unites under one nation Avatar should rule that nation.

Lol, well, I've been accused of being pretty cold and unemotional myself.   I find it hard to take anything personal online, given that the posters are scattered across the globe and will likely never actually get to know each other.  It's unfair to judge people soley by their ability to express themselves in posts.

Quote from: PhoeniX-FlamElets say i was nathan (lol) i wouldnt have got so much crap complains... i would've listen to people and explain, not just tell em "i know how you feel but i dont care" and like everything in life, i might not like but ill do some stuff anyways (e.g... lets say i hate hover, but it seems the majority (if want not all) wants a hover switch - i would've made it even if i hate the fact that players will still hover)

You'd never be able to program one line if you did that.  That's almost as bad as anything being done "by Committee".

At some point you'd  be so full of having to explain every little thing or from having to constantly justify and defend your decisions that you'd lose it.  Then it's all downhill to the rubber room...  :)

-Av-

PhoeniX-FlamE

sure can, if nathan could've open his eyes, and accutly listen - we would've have a physics possiablty by now...

and thats just a small e.g

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

I am back, i have calmed down.

So, lets analyse something that makes me different from GSH. Yes, i get angry. Its true. But i see that previous post as a tempory thing which was bad. I accept that what avatar has said is correct. Even if my insults and comments were *fully* justified. Its not the point.

I will stil leave the post up, but only so that others can read it and understand the situation.

Now, With me i got angry and flamed. I then accept that it is bad and ajust to critism even though i was right.

On the other hand red devil and a few others consitantly and repeatedly defend GSH's apparent 'right' to being insulting/rude/etc etc etc. They also defend his right to 'decide' what needs to be done to the BZII game play above and beyoned mearly the programming and AV's etc etc. From ''being blunt'' to '' its nesseary '' to whatever other stuff has been said.

When he was critised what happened/happens is that his select few 'loyal followers' defend him even though he is blatently in the wrong.

Not to mention people were banned from the fourm for nothing more than polite critism.

Its unnessearily biased, its hypocyritcal and undesirable.

'' Deal with it. ''.

Its all good and well GSH making desicions, but acting like some kind of always-correct-100%-god is utterly simple rubbish imo.

He has no respect for other people, and THATS why i got angry in turn.

What did GSH expect the public beta to be? Everyone praising him and going on about how great his work is? Its good, sure. But it has also got a fair few problems as well. The reason we have a public beta is to address those problems.

Saying that it should be done '' bugs first '' and '' balencing second '' is flawed because the 'bugs' affect the balencing and all of the factors are interconnected.

This thread is a classic example of how GSH is utterly crap at managing the beta. The disscussion was going fine, he comes in...throws his weight around, causes a 3 page long flame war and then to make matters worse....red devil comes along and defends him for stuffing the process up.

I do not intend to tell GSH how to to programming, so why the hell should i expect him to tell me how to play the game and what factors need work and effort in them balencing wise?

GSH should be grateful i still come here after the crap i have recived.

Hmm... let me try this.

PF starts building a boat.  It's going to be a sleek, fast little one-man boat.

Avatar comes up and says "Put two seats in it, that way we can both ride."

PF says "No, that'll slow it down and besides, the frame is already set up for one person."

Avatar says "But it'll be so much cooler if we can both ride."

So PF relents and with a little more work cobbles up two seats.

Then DF comes along and says "Put a bigger motor in so it can pull me water-skiing."

PF says "No, it can't hold that much gas and it's not meant for pulling."

DF says "C'mon, it's statistically more probable to pick up hot chicks when you're towing a water-skier."

This gets PF thinking, and he manages to add more fuel tanks and a bigger motor.  (he thinks he can dump Avatar when a hot chick shows up. :) )

THEN, RD shows up and points out that the hot sun's going to fry Av's bald head and a canopy will be needed.  "NO WAY" says PF, that's ridiculous for a speedboat."  Av joins in with RD in insisting that a shade canopy be installed, and after four days and nights of whining PF finally gives in.

"OKOKOK, I'll add a canopy!  Just let me get some sleep!!"    :)

See what a nightmare that sort of development process is?

:lol:

-Av-

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

So the solution? make a boat that is moddable so DF can get his chicks, the couple can have a romatic evening and one guy doesnt get burnt...as long as DF buys the engine, the couple make the extra seat and one guy buys a canopy.

I am not asking GSH to do all the work for me, i an asking him to not have such a tight grip on the door that he forms BZII into only something that '' he sees fit ''. I am asking him the open the door so that *I* can do the work.
GSH has shown every indication of been a control freak. THATS the problem. It probably makes him a damned good programmer. but it has serious weaknesses in other arears.

Risa

@Avatar
LOL  :D  :P Thats one way to put it  :)

Quote from: Red DevilWant to *really* see how bad you've got it?  Take a trip to the local cancer ward and see the little kids there.  Or the ones with no legs or parents due to a drunk driver.  There's so much whining going on from people who have no right whatsoever.

That is low, unjustified and quite of an overstatement.

BZZERKER

Quote from: PhoeniX-FlamEsure can, if nathan could've open his eyes, and accutly listen - we would've have a physics possiablty by now...

and thats just a small e.g

PF, I got news for you. GSH tried to put the 1.2 physics into the 1.3 code after the beta came out and guess what............They didn't work. It's not as simple as one may think.

Quote from: Jwk the Hemp MonkeyNot to mention people were banned from the fourm for nothing more than polite critism.
Hemp, Please show me 1 example of "polite critism" that resulted in that person being banned.

I'm probably going to get labeled GSH's biggest supporter for this but here goes anyway. I actually LMFAO at a good 75% of his responses to ppl, 10% of which I almost fall of my chair. I laugh not because I think it's "laughable rubbish" but because I genuinely find it funny.

PhoeniX-FlamE

i would do all that stuff if i could  :D
and besides as jwk said, i would tell them if they want - they can do add themself as long as its capable to do it (e.g from bz2 -- hmmm making the buildings float)

hmm how come aegis and appel managed to do that with few simple odf twicks? + if GSH wants the 1.2 physics he wouldnt have kicked / banned (or whatever) appel from the chat and he wouldnt have said time to move to plan B air dmg bla bla bla

i got banned once - but i aint that polite  :D

BZZERKER

I see I need to clairify "physics".

I meant the "agility" part of the code, not h'ing. Appel was "excluded" from the IRC chanel because of refusing to shut up about h'ing being put back in thanks to the vet recy option.

Fishbone

Why are we doing this again?
Thread locked.

Just one thing to those critizicing GSHs competence in running a beta:
I work in product development. All your concern are irrelevant, even ridiculous.
I can tell that neither Jwk, nor Flamey have *ever* produced something in a professional context that has been bought by customers (yes, thats a loose definition of 'product'). I dont ask you to not talk about things you have no idea, but I ask you to stop accusing/critizicing people who have experience in doing what they're doing as opposed to you guys.

So, nobody puts up 'Flamey sucks' threads, so stop these 'GSH sucks' threads ok?
If you dont like something in the public beta, tell everybody what you dont like and move on. Your opinion is one of many.