• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Fogrange and visibilityrange

Started by appel, February 29, 2004, 08:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

appel

I see this was taken out in the patch, any reasons? I would like to see it re-implemented so you can use it in MP games, it was very useful for those who knew how to use it :)

CmptrWz

I assume you mean extending them beyond the map setting. That was considered cheating(being able to see more then the enemy). You can still shrink it, however. Also, gameprefs lets you set a default max so if the map goes further then you know your system can handle you can have it automatically shrunk.

appel

Hmm...I mean, you allow all these screen sizes, 640x480, 800x600, 1600x1200 etc...why is this any different?

If you have an extended visibilityrange you will suffer from in in FPS. But for those with super good PC's they might get a 20% more range without suffering from loss in FPS.

And I always liked this feature when I was checking out maps for editing purposes even though I wasn't in the editor.

CmptrWz

When I am running at 1600x1200 in BZ2 I can't see any more then in 640x480, just with more detail on smaller objects. Exception MIGHT be made when I play widescreen, I think I get a little more left-right visibility. Not much though. However, increasing your visibility when your opponent can't is unfair advantage. Usually the map setting is considered the "fair" point, and dropping it is a voluntary handicap.

I doubt the other players would volunteer to all drop their visibility just so yours is higher, though.

appel

I can modify this in the TRN files without getting bad assets?

CmptrWz

As soon as you edit your map to have higher visibility(actually stored in the .sky file when the map is saved) you will get bad assets unless everyone is using your modified files.

Element

Would you gain full visibility by simply turning off fog via console cmd?

technoid

It is best that the mapper release his map designs with properly tuned fog gradients as well as the viso range for 1.3.  This should compensate for these now disabled pov console commands.

GSH

Certain console commands don't work in MP anymore. You play by the mapmaker's setup.

-- GSH

Nathan, you should change your signature now...

Unless it's 'close' behind...    :D

All of the original console commands work in the Editor or while not in MP.  In MP such a thing would be cheating, unless you're in a Natty G66 game in which case anything goes...  :)

-Av-

Angstromicus

My computer was able to handle 2700 visibility range before the game crashed. (1.2)

BTW, when I set my visibility range past 900, the terrain gets "scrwed up". It's very noticable if it's 1300 or higher.(1.3)

Spawn

One thing I notice is that if you turn up the visibility, you get normal range plus about 200m, then a big fogged out chunk, and then in the distance, you can see the terrain slightly blurry, up to the end of the range.  But, if you use a wireframe view then there is no difference.  I was wondering, I understand removing some commands in multiplayer, but could put back the possible build squares?  It gets quite annoying not knowing where you can build something untill you get the scrap.