• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

(Medium Bug) AI wont initiate combat when...

Started by Jwk the Hemp Monkey, April 26, 2004, 02:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angstromicus

The AI may not be dumb, but just selfish to their ownselves  :D.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

i did not want this to be a disscussion about AI and how smart they are. I want bugs where the AI show NO COMBAT  inititve whatso ever when under attack....

E.g...i tell a lancer to follow a scav...an AI scout comes up and shoots it at point blank and the lancer just 'sits there' doing absolutly nothing.
Everyone can agree thats not acceptable. Tactics? Not shooting artilery? Sure.....but not even enganging just because it was told to follow something?

i think everyone can agree thats a bug.

FoxBlade

oops df I meant to add that the AI will follow a trail of targets with a simple attack to command. this will lead to your ships wandering off in all directions.

if however, the command hold position actually meant that the ship would not move in any way, then that command could be of more use.

but the biggest problem with BZ2 units are their innability to multitask. they must reposition themselves to change task. when I tell a unit to pick me up and im less tehn 2 meters away, I want him to eject right on the spot, not move 90 degrees around me, face me, and then eject, sometimes only to run back into the ship.

Spawn

maybe the lancer didnt shoot because the explosions would've hurt the scav, i know that if there are a few AI jackles gaurding something, you can go right next to it and they wont shoot, for they dont want to hurt friendly units...then i just umped out and sniped them all, from point blank range, and even missed a few times.  That should be fixed.

PhoeniX-FlamE

ive never seen jackles give a hoot what they shooting at.. if the hit friendly unit the dmg is "canceled" (no dmg done)
the only way they wont shoot is if they got something right infront of them - but if the scout can hit then so is the lancer... when u tell a unit to follow it will do what the unit he's following doing..

tell a unit to follow you - if you attack something - it will as well...

if u run, it will as well...

when u tell it to follow a unit without the ability to attack it just wont attack... thats the problem

Spawn

actually, jackles wont shoot if there are buildings that will get hit by splash damage, which is not cancled

Zero Angel

Thats a very nice bit of info, PF :D

Damn, we already up to 7 pages on the AI list already.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Aegeis

Quote from: PhoeniX-FlamEwhen u tell a unit to follow it will do what the unit he's following doing..

tell a unit to follow you - if you attack something - it will as well...

when u tell it to follow a unit without the ability to attack it just wont attack... thats the problem

:o

DUDE!  I never relaized that before!  Holy shiznit batman!

Angstromicus

LMAO.

Anyway, (probably won't happen on any maps that weren't made by me), if an ai unit falls of a ledge (inevitably leading to certain doom), the ai unit(s) attacking it, will follow after it. I'd like that to be fixed.

Only on few occasions has an ai not followed an enemy ai when it was engaged: (REALLY HIGH, STEEP CLIFF), the enemy fell off the ledge, and the other AI just peeked over the ledge.[/list]

Zero Angel

Quote from: PhoeniX-FlamEtell a unit to follow you - if you attack something - it will as well...

Checked this out last night, it seems that while an offensive unit will stop to fight whatevers attacking it, a non-offensive unit will keep going.

So, if you tell a group of scouts to follow a scav, they'll follow the scav, then if they stop to fight and get too far away, its like they'll get confused (should I follow the scav, or defend myself?) and just spin around.
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

ey? when i told my lancers to follow a scav, and an AI came up and shot them, they just stood their motionless.

Zero Angel

Damnit! I thought lancer AI was supposed to be among the smartest AI in BZ2. You learn something new every day.

The way i see it, I can relate it to the 'doctor, it hurts when i do this', saying. I guess thats why I never really encountered that bug.
{bac}Zero Angel

Spawn

no, its not that lancer ai is good, but any idiot can use stinger.  and if you cant, you CAN be removed from our genepool... :missiler:

Tempest Storm

There needs to be a resserection of the BZ1 "Defend" command.

As of current date, the Defend command is only activated when you tell a unit to follow a building. You should be able to switch between the follow and defend thing on units though. There is a command pannel peice of code remaining for it, but while its text is defend the code name is MODE_DEFEND_BASE don't know if its different at all to the BZ1 defend command though.