• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

A little question about MWF settings

Started by King(NL), August 31, 2004, 04:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King(NL)

Quote from: Gummo.nzJust something to note King.

In 1.3 the host sets the mwf in the shell (as you have discovered) and that applies to everyone who joins the game.

In 1.2 each person sets their own mwf.

Is Gummo right? Cuz I've read in a other topic that MWF settings depend on the cpu power and IF I set MWF to 1 cuz my cpu can take that. Others may get problems with a low cpu.
SO my question is: Does MWF have an impact for the host's cpu only or for both the cpu from the host and the client?  :?

Spacecomber

Gummo is correct.  

The reason for this is to make sure no one in the game is setting a mwf abnormally low.  It is the host's responsibility to set a MWF that is reasonable for all in the game.  It can also be seen as being in the service of creating a level playing field by putting everyone on the same setting.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

only problem is that if someone has a computer that cannot handle mwf=1 (which is essentially any cpu bellow 1.8 ghz) then the host might actually force lag upon the game.

I personally suggest that the mwf is set to the person who has the lowest cpu. Dark fox worked out a fairly accurate way of setting mwf according to your cpu power but i forgot where that thread went.

Spacecomber

Although most of the focus about what to set MWF at has to do with Strat games, since they seem to be the most competitive arenas that this comes up in, the rules of thumb generated for these games probably don't apply well to something like a G66 MPI game.  The reason for this is that the larger number of AI units in a G66 game is going to put a much greater strain on everyone's sytem than you'll ever see in a DM or even a strat game.  I typically set MWF to 5 for MPI games.  I don't think anything much lower is really needed, since the AI ships are more predicatable and less erratic in their movements; so, their degree of warping is much less than you'll see against human players.  In 1.3 games, you can see what everyone's FPS are and whether their multiworld state is lagging relative to everyone else's.  If someone's FPS start dipping into single digits, you can expect to see them to start "lagging", too.  Chances are their computer doesn't have the CPU horsepower for a large MPI, but the host may have exacerbated this, if the MWF is set low.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

indeed, but setting a 'rule of thumb' for strat games is a good start.

King(NL)

Your brain is full?

:)

I'll never know enough...

The more I know the more I know I don't know...

As a circle of light expands so does the line of darkness around it...

:shock:

-Av-

PhoeniX-FlamE

QuoteThe more I know the more I know I don't know...

hehe, nice way to put things, never looked at it that way..

Spacecomber

Heheh, I think someone has been watching David Carradine reruns.   :D