• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

So what happened to 1.3?

Started by † Trinity †, September 04, 2004, 02:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

Fishbone, now now. your giving the impression your not reading my posts thoughly.

I understand the editor doesnt stop you making missions. I am saying that the editor's fuction was not just to make missions. It was also to tests elements of the game.

E.g. lets say i want to in the space of 5 minutes test the exact details of how a Wasp Lancer (me) attacking an AI Gt, turret, something else etc, is like....

currently i go in an instant action, (fe lizard cause there are no enemy AI) stick the enemy units wher ei want them, give myself a lancer,...then TEST.

I could name a 101 different 'testing' scenarios where a 1.2 style useabilty of an editor is increadbly time /effort saving and efficent. Hell, today i went in and out of it about 20 times to test a set of weapons i have made against the AI.

Fishbone

well, thats exactly it. why cant you do your TEST in 1.3?
just load up any map, stick your units in there and test it. am I missing something?

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

I have never been able to do that in 1.3.

I go to console....game.cheat bzeditor doesnt work :S.

Also, what if i want to test some stuff with someone in a multiplayer game?

Me and PF had to play a *4 hour session* if there was not the abilty to edit in stuff...and we could only do once race vs 2nd race.

CmptrWz

Last time I checked, I could drop OUT of the editor in bz2edit.exe to appear in my tank and be able to do what I wanted to, just like in 1.2, but without DLLs running.

And that was all of 20 seconds ago.

Fishbone

Jwk, use bz2edit.exe and not bzone.exe. the editor is a seperate program.

For multi testing, you should first try to balance things out 'on paper' and then you have to do full scale online testing. there is no way around it.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

perhaps to avoid confusion a sticky thread detailing the exact way to use the 1.3 editor for mission building and the slightly seperate issue of tactical testing should be typed out. Would of saved a fair amount of problems dont you think?

Fishbone

Well, once you understand that you need to use bz2edit.exe to edit maps, everything is the same as in 1.2
so I am not sure why you would need a tutorial?

Well, personally, I just read the changelog and found everything very clear. Now, if one doesnt want to read, then why would he read a sticky thread?

However, since you know all the secrets now, why dont you start a new thread and I will make it sticky. how does that sound?

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

I dont really know all the secrets, and I did read the change log. I just seemed to of not understand that section. (took a hell of a lot of effort to read that document with my dyslexia and all).

Saloei

elected to stay with 1.2? no way! 1.2 no longer resides on my disk. though the patch still has issues. the overall gameplay experienced has enhanced. effects are more defined. i hang around the maulers just to see them spit; the effects on that are not like 1.2 bz2.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

It does have some improvments, but it also has some mistakes. I do hope other areas of the modding are not broken.

Bull Dog

Quote from: Saborelected to stay with 1.2? no way! 1.2 no longer resides on my disk. though the patch still has issues. the overall gameplay experienced has enhanced. effects are more defined. i hang around the maulers just to see them spit; the effects on that are not like 1.2 bz2.

Ahh so I'm not the only one.  I haven't tutched 1.2 since 1.3 beta came out.  Sure hope we can have a beta2 sometime.  (GSH?)

@the hemp guy...Uh....Well lets see.  To the best of my knowledge ODF modding is not broken.  I don't possiably see how 3d Modeling could be broken.  Fishbone seems to have the Mission/map  making down just fine.  I can also attest to the fact the the 1.3bz2edit works just fine(actually better) to edit/make maps.  So what else is there?

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

ask someone like space :P, not me obv. I just balence and test and play. I do some modding, but only a medlium level of sophistication.

All removal of the editor did for me was double the number of shortcuts in my Mod directory.  I set up an Editor and an Engine shortcut for each race, pointing to the test map I use.  Same BZN etc. only different EXE.

I don't do DLL's and if anything the Editor is MORE touchy than the engine so there's no issue with something working in the Editor but not in the Engine.

-Av-