• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Custom weapon inf files

Started by Bull Dog, December 30, 2004, 10:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bull Dog

Will custom *.inf for weapons cause bad assets?  The stock inf's don't really tell much about the weapon. IMHO I've made better ones.  Would using them cause bad assets?.

technoid

I don't have direct bad experience with the .inf files, but since they don't seem to change code in any way, i.e. they're only text files, afaik, then it probably shouldn't have any conflicts. Then again, I could be wrong.  I'm not at home in front of the game, so can't prove it.  I'll let the real gurus answer next.   :D

Bull Dog

Well as soon as I get the time (mauhaha) I'll test it myself.

APCs r evil

No, they don't cause bad assets, but only the owner of the altered file can see whatever is in it.

Bull Dog

That would be ok.  Thats what I was hoping for.  Meaning that basically I could put out a inf pack and then people could download it (good for newbies) and it would not cause bad assets.

CmptrWz

Is there any way to make an ODF use another ODF for the description, thus locking people to using that description?

I have a set of weapons I would rather NOT be easily distinguishable if someone knows how to edit INF files.

Tempest Storm

You could always try:

[GameObjectClass]
unitInfo = "xxx.odf"

I wouldn't be surprised if it would work.

Commando

I think basename is used to give similar units the same inf description.  That is the impression I got when I looked through several odfs in the past.  It was the main reason I couldn't get certain infs working for G66 and FE Pt 2.  The units I wanted to tweak, had the same basename as a preexisting bz2 unit so I wouldn't be able to change its description without changing the stock unit's description.