• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Slight pauses every 10 seconds or so

Started by OvermindDL1, December 10, 2004, 09:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OvermindDL1

Every once in a while, playing 1.3 pb (or latest) I get a pause.  Example, as you can see by this picture, I get on average about 400fps while looking at a base, and about 500 looking at a landscape, but every ten seconds or so it drops to about 2fps, it only does this in some select maps, still isolating (do not play much) which ones, but does anyone else experience this?

Bull Dog

You must be playing on a LCD monitor.  Me thinks a crt would be having massive tearing problems.

OvermindDL1

Yes its an old lcd, but the purpose of this post was not fps.

Fonbu

Hi I find playing with Vsync turned on makes it alot smoother gameplay.

OvermindDL1

VSync only sets a max refresh rate (to the monitor vertical frequency to be exact).  I usually play with it on, I forced it off to see what my fps were, didn't help/hurt the freezing, that seems to be CPU based freezing...

Bull Dog

These are just pure suggestions.  First are there any programs running the background that could be causing problems.  Loading up the Task Manager and keeping a history of the CPU usage while the CPU is idle may indicate something is amiss.

If you do see spikes in the CPU usage while the System is idle.  Then try to track down which program in the Processes tab.

Well I hope I haven't Insulted your intelligence or anything.....you are one brainy guy.  :-D

Red Devil

Do you have those options set in gameprefs that give extra time to the cpu for calls from other progs?
What box???

Spacecomber

This is a wild shot in the dark, but are you running an Athlon 64 with Cool 'n Quiet enabled?

Or, are you running a Prescott Pentium 4, which has built in thermal throttling?

Bull Dog

Well I do know for a fact that Overmind has a AMD64.  But about the Cool and Quite tech I dunno.

OvermindDL1

No cool and quiet, and it does not do it on all levels.  Heck, I play HL2 at max quality with never a slowdown, so I do not think this would be a problem for BZ2...

technoid

OM, you stated that you're seeing the pauses in 1.3pb.... is it also happening in 1.2?  Also, is this in SP/IA or in MP?

DarkFox

OvermindDL1

Don't recall in 1.2, have not done it in far too long, and things have been and have not been in the cd drive, it never spins up when something is in, so I doubt it is cd tracks or whatnot...  This is BZ2...

technoid

Again, I ask... is this happening in SP/IA or in MP... or both?   :)
Please list the suspect maps as well, if you can remember.

The COW map shows a similar issue.

I believe it's because of the high number of ships embedded in the map.  BZ2 seems to "run through the list" of objects every so often and if that list is long it can show up as a pause.

OTOH I've also had things like that happen with long view distance maps without fog, like the COW map.  (no fog on the moon).  This could also be texture dependant...

I used to get a 'pulse' every few seconds that was caused by my cheap sound card (and equally cheap drivers).  It disappeared when I switched to an SBLive card.  When I had it I noticed it most on Bridges for some reason...

That's all I can think of to check...

-Av-