• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Is the new version of 1.3 being worked on right now going to manage RAM better?

Started by General_Hoohah, October 01, 2005, 05:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucky_foot

Jonathan S.

OvermindDL1

Windows *will* fill your ram, it can *always* find something to fill your ram.Ã,  It also tries to make sure there as at least as much page file as there is ram in case in needs to dumpÃ,  it fast due to a BSOD or whatnot.

EDIT:  And for note.  BZ2 DOES NOT MANAGE RAM...  Windows does, and it is one thing that Windows actually does exceptionally well.

OvermindDL1

Bull Dog

Quote from: Avatar on October 03, 2005, 04:33:05 PM
Actually with WindowsXP you should be always filling your RAM.  Unless your system is very well endowed you'll almost always use every spec of RAM and then start in on the HD's swap file.

Any memory manager worth a damn will try to keep everything possible in system RAM, moving things to HD only if absolutely necessary.  The minute you start 'hitting' the HD you'll see things start to slow down, as no HD made can keep up with a hefty chunk of SDRAM.

We have P4 1.8's at work with 256M of SDRAM.  Once Windows XP Pro finishes loading all 256M is in use, with a hefty comit charge on the HD backing it up.  With the piddly slow 20G HD's we have (5000 rpm and I swear they must have no cache at all) it's a lesson in pain trying to run anything.

Again, that's what it's for.  You'll see a certain percentage kept reserved for system operations but the rest should be in use for maximum performance.

-Av-

Actually AV its called DDR and DDDR2 ram now, And if windows XP is using 256MB of ram while sitting at the desktop you must have a whole crap load of bloatware installed.

OvermindDL1

Quote from: Bull Dog on October 06, 2005, 07:50:58 PMActually AV its called DDR and DDDR2 ram now, And if windows XP is using 256MB of ram while sitting at the desktop you must have a whole crap load of bloatware installed.

I know, I usually use just plain old RAM to get away from having to type too many capital letters...

I've read your first statement several times and it keeps coming out "blah blah Bloatware XP blah blah bloatware installed."Ã,  Ã, 

Redundant!Ã,  Ã, Lol...

256MB is the Minimum Requirement for running Windows XP.  Minimum!  MS knows how to sell new hardware...

Coffee.  Now.

-Av-Ã, 

deadscion

All of this discussion seems to avoid one simple fact.

If a program, any program operates efficiently, then it will use less computer resources than a program which does not operate efficiently.

In the case of BZ2 where unit population among other things, which decides how many resources are required, it would seem the more efficient the operation, the more fun you get to have without lag, av's and other nasty interuptions to the game.

Therefore a game using less resources, and giving the player more fun would be prefered.

So any game( including UT as Avatar mentioned) requiring huge amounts of computer resources is not necessarily a very well written game program and only serves to encourage the excess buying of upgrades, which under most circumstances, would not be necessary.

Some of the newer games coming out promise more details and realism in sight and sound but all this extra stuff means getting a beafier computer setup just to enjoy such things. Fun? what about the fun?  If I spend money for the eye and ear candy will I still have fun?

Doom 3 has some serious requirements, lots of eye candy and  a very good single player but the multiplayer side of things was limited to deathmatch. I do not prefer to deathmatch games all the time, so this was a great disappointment to me.

In the long run, I prefer to invest in computer equipment and software which does whant I need it for, either peace of mind or fun.

I don't know about you, but more fun for the buck seems to make perfect sense to me.   

General BlackDragon

1.3 is better then 1.2, bz2 is hard on the computer, and 1.3 makes it a little less hard, so yes its better.

*****General BlackDragon*****

Red Devil

An easy way to see what you're using is to go to Alt-Tab to Task Manager, click on the Performance tab, and check out the numbers there.

Commit Charge (K)

Total = Current usage
Limit = Total (physical) + Pagefile size
Peak =  will be the max used since last boot.

Physical Memory (K)

Total = RAM
Available = RAM - Current Usage
What box???

{OM}DevLeader

Wait,I'm confused,right now,all I have is 202MB out of a total 905 Mbs?
Battlezone II doesn't do that to my system,I can have WMP,MSN,AIM,etc,etc going,and it still runs perfectly fine...and when I start BZ2,about 70 MBs add on,but,it doesn't use all of it....

OvermindDL1

Never post such useless and harmful links like that again please.

One of the good things about Windows NT5+ is the way it handles ram.  It tries to load as much as possible into ram to keep it as snappy as possible.  Linux and Mac do the same thing.  It pages things out to the page file when more ram is needed, you generally always have a lot more page then ram if you have many things in memory.  Those "freeing ram" programs hurt system performance because they cause things to be paged out.  If they ask for too much, then pieces of the kernal get paged out, drastically hurting system performance the next time you do *anything*, for the split second it reloads it.  When a program closes, or releases memory back, windows keeps it available in-case it is reopened in the next few minutes, give it a try.  Restart computer, Load MSWord, open a large doc, close MSWord, reload MSWord, noticed how much quicker it loaded, that is because the memory did not need to be reacquired.  Because a program like that eats up so much memory, then releases it, windows keeps it ready again for that stinkin app, ergo, denying it to other applications till there is none left (or the time delay is hit, generall 15-30 minutes) then deletes the pged secion of memory it was keeping reserved.  If you have enough page file, that isn't much of an issue.  If task manager says that more then 1/4 of your ram is unused, then there is something keeping it paged out for saving, or you have a *ton* of memory and not enough apps running, ton meaning multiple gigs.

Ergo, running those programs cause a performance hit.  And DevLeader is doing something that is causing his ram not to be completely used, such as a large program was running, and he shut it down within the past 15 or so minutes of checking that.

For example, my computer has 1 gig of ram, it is using a little over 800 megs of it currently, the kernal is using ~360megs of that.  My page file is a little over 2.5 gigs (system managed), with a little over a gig in use (I have my usual ton of programs running, my task bar is scrolling, screen is 1280 wide).  And this is actually light because I restarted recently and still havn't finished restarting everthing.

Angstromicus

Ah ok, my bad. In case you were wondering what I was thinking. I was thinking that the program would make more ram availiable for the game, and perhaps make it run better, hence, improved performance. But, nvm.

Edit: LOL that post went BYE BYE, completely gone now!

BZZERKER