• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

unit collision detect

Started by Saloei, August 16, 2006, 05:23:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llulla

I believe BOJ Man said  "Reality Sucks" when worked on SF mod. I interpret that, that every small modification of the stock BZ, whatever 1.2 or 1.3 it is, makes a break from reality. At this point is a matter of personal taste. The same as the unlimited preferences for food and clothes  is what ppl like on BZ mods.  There will always be  someone that likes something different.
My thanks go to everyone who tries and offers to the community his/her vision of a different BZ universe.

Quote from: llulla on September 07, 2006, 06:18:22 AM
Does the cR take care also of the movement? I mean when stopped units are in the path of the moving one, will the latter find a better path and avoid colliding? Maybe some other entries in ODFs deal with this thing.

First off I'm pretty sure I'm to blame for units going straight to their destination, ramming other units in their way.  I mentioned once that I thought it would be better if units weren't so darned polite and just ignored other units in their path.  This was back when units overbuilt at the Factory would crash the game as they tried to path their way out of the herd.  Remember that?  It was a serious issue at one time.

Anyway, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.  If Scavs start shoving your units around you're not talking care of your boys...  :)  tell them to go somewhere and 'hold' and they'll try to move back there if shoved too far away.

There is a setting for this, but it's for the game and not each individual unit, and I think it's just a list of what units worry about colliding with things.  I think Nathan has the Constructor in there, but am not sure...

-Av-

llulla

Thanks for clearing this point Avatar.

I believe that, the change you were mentioning, the one that affects all the system, IS NEEDED. Scavs being the worse one, ALL tracked vehicles suffer the same problem.  The change shouldn't be anything drastic but a slight improvement.
Is it really possible to modify the general behavior without changing one by one the units?

llulla

What about the tracked vehicles that get stuck :-(, moving back and forth, on vertical or inclined walls and are not able to get back on level ground. Is there anything that fixes that?

Red Devil

Yes, you can make tracked vehicles spin in place instead of trying to do 3-point turns.
What box???

Tigger

Quote from: Red Devil on September 19, 2006, 01:49:45 PM
Yes, you can make tracked vehicles spin in place instead of trying to do 3-point turns.

....to everyone's annoyance.....

Red Devil

I was going to submit it for 1.3, but changed my mind and was going to put it in my variant.

When's the last time you saw a bulldozer make a 3 point turn?  Never.
What box???

BZZERKER

When was the last time you saw a tank hover? Never.

Red Devil

The point is that they're using tracked vehcile physics.  That being the case, they need to behave like they are using tracked vehicle physics, not like someone driving a wheeled vehicle.
What box???

BZZERKER

Nooo, the point is...it's not real...it's just a game. Leave the quirks be!

llulla

The point is: the quirks WERE NOT in the game so why adding more quirks when the intention is to solve the existing. Whatever was wrong with the physics of 1.2 was much better than the actual where a small Service Truck displaces an Attila easily.

BZZERKER

Dig up a copy with 1.0 on it and you'll find Scavs that do 3 point turns. This is what RD and myself are talking about.

I happen to agree with you about the ST being able to move an Attila though.

BZ2 is a ½ million lines of code that more or less resembles a very large patch work quilt with small parts related to physics sewn in the upper left corner, lower right corner, OH, there's some in the middle and some more over there in the middle left on the very edge, and ove....

Anyway, I hope you get the point that the code for BZ2's various sections weren't all nice and neat in one place. It's simply impossible for 1 guy to find it all.

Red Devil

The Atilla/ST push is very easy to fix.  Just add a mass setting to the Atilla and it won't budge.

I guess some people prefer to have their treaded units get stuck in cliffs and buildings.  [shrugs]
What box???

llulla

Three point turn was there forever but did not cause the flying of the bumped unit in a very weird fashion. Three point turn is relevant when many units are too close in limited space. It  does not affect riding THROUGH other, distant units, in an open space OR, explains what a is Bulldog  doing back and forth on a vertical wall. These things WERE NOT present in 1.0 or 1.2  so the piece of code governing the tracked vehicles was somehow reasonable.
I agree, working on zillion lines of existing code is walking on a minefield ( see how Windoze gets from bad to worse). The work done on BZ is really unimaginable for me personally. 
I argue from a point of simple logic (that maybe very wrong) that "if it works leave it be" and wonder if it is possible to reinsert the old code at the piece BZ canvas that is now covered with the patch for Tracked Vehicles. Since this is coming from someone that does not know at all the work done for 1.3, it may sound stupid  :-D but better talk about things than avoid.
Do you agree?

Red Devil

Just because it's PB3 does not mean that all the fixes are in the code.  The devs graciously pulled a lot of functionality out of the code and converted it into ODF options which *are not* in the ODF's themselves.  That's up to the modders to place them there.

Have you tried the new ODF options?

What box???