• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

wug AIPs v3.4 (test)

Started by wug, September 22, 2006, 08:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spawn

It's easy to take out archers, they are incrediblly weak, not to mention it takes a second to get up the hill and kill the archers, who almost always go to the same place to attack something.  Some ai units can even climb hills, though they can only go up in certain places.

ScarleTomato

yes lulla, that is a feasible real-life solution to the archer problem, I have the exact same tactic when it comes to archers. Go out and hunt them down yourself. It is completley legit. Works like a charm, and if you know how to evade the big guys, you rarely walk back to base.

Red Devil

[IdleDispatcher]
BomberIdleSeconds = 14400 // # of seconds before a bomber is sent out.
What box???

BZZERKER

llulla, I think your problem is that you seem to be a Bunker Jockeyâ,,¢ which can get you into a great deal of trouble game wise, that and an appearant lack of resource management.

wug

Okay, I'll put in the plans to have the jammer block all bomber attacks.  Personally, I think it's unfair for the AI - one uber-jammer that can cover the entire map is quite the bargain.

But at least the jammer is something the player has to build now. ;)

wug

Okay, test #5 is now up.  I didn't test it yet, so if anyone runs into an error, please tell me. 8-)

If playing Scion vs. ISDF AI, be warned that the bomber is now quite aggressive, so you will need to put up a Jammer ASAP.

Good luck!

Red Devil

[shakes fist and shouts in Charleton Heston voice]

DAMN YOUUUUU!

:lol:
What box???

llulla

Who has gone up the peaks of the type Firestorm, I did not manage I I want to see how someone did it accelerating :-o through the narrow tunnels  full of Mauler+Titans.
I agree other maps allow to put RTs,  which really live up to their name, on high spots, but not always. Try ToonTrails and you will witness the scraping of your recycler with you only as a spectator.

wug's AIP sends Archers in 2s and 3s every wave and, if you don't  have time to take out all of them,  by the next wave there can be concentrations of 3+. Even when in couples, the GTs go down very easily :? imagine 3+ (at the same time you Maulers are charging). It is not right to say Archers are at the bottom of priority, not with this effect on GTs. I,ve seen it happen!

I agree I am a bunker Jockey up to a certain point. How can you play the middle section of the game (resisting and building up forces) outside a bunker. On very small maps maybe but, let say Swamp or similar???? 
This way it becomes REAL resource management, because you control ALL the map  and make the chess moves as a Commander you are . Engaging yourself in some some skirmish in one corner of the map and let a whole flank on the others side collapse because, you can't  order a couple backup of units that can save the day, it is simply stupid. When it comes to take down bases I do it personally riding SPStab-ed Attilas that mow everything 8-) in their path, and I DO NOT NEED a Bomber for that.
BTW, I am also an FPS gamer and take my dose of action usually with UT the first, the one and only :-D.

wug

llula, have you boosted up by holding the "w", and "d" and "e" keys at once while getting a running start?  I find I can get up to most places doing that in a Sabre.

I did a quick check on the AIPs last night, and it looks to be working okay.  Played much the same as before on Standard - ISDF vs. Scion AI, but most of changes affect playing Scion and the harder AIPs.

lucky_foot

Well,

Being the Bunker jockey isn't bad if you don't spend the whole time there. On the LAN at home one of my friends is a Bunker Jockey and we always can find him in the Scion Antenna. :D

We used to rush his base in a scout, blow up, and then glide in to the Antenna where he invariably would be waiting for us to kill him. :)

It's like a stage

1. Don't want to build
2. Will build, but run around like mad trying to be everywhere at once.
3. Bunker Jockey never leaving.
4. Leaving more often
5. Using the Bunker only when necessary.

I usually use the Bunker when I want a Bird's eye veiw of what's going on and the enemy isn't trying any horrendious attacks. When he does then I jump out and try to get my scout (assuming that a pilot didn't wander off with it. :D )
Jonathan S.

wug

Oh, I remember one time my friend hopped out of his Attila into the Relay Bunker, and a couple minutes later (you guessed it), the Attila is trashing our base. :lol:

lucky_foot

ROFLOL.

I did that to my brother in a  Base buildilng match.

We had four bases each enemies and one of my brother's decided to "secretly" trade him a Mauler since Nathan wasn't a good player yet. Well, I spotted the trade and Bailed out of my scout and glided right in to the empty mauler. :)

In the other room I heard:

NATHAN: I can't get in to the Mauler, It's changed color.

TIMOTHY: Oh, Shoot!

I had a hayday. :D

Jonathan S.

Spawn

I bet you have auto leveling on...

And any good com never uses the bunker, unless they feel like taunting the other team :P

llulla

He! He! This is kids stuff! In many years of BZ I have "distilled" the Bunker Jockey trade and NEVER used auto-levelling.
One thing first, I rarely play against humans, so it is always against CPU (reasons would make an interesing topic). I thank wug for pushing the difficulty to the levels of today and making the play against computer hair-tearing.

Here are some of the rules that, over a long time seem to me safe and sound: 

1 - Never build your bunker at the base but at some invisible corner. Use if possible hills or places high-up (BTW why 1.3 constructors are unable do cross a ditch??).

2- Eject from the vehicle, blowing it up the moment you get in the bunker. The JetPack is more than enough to get you to the base or a rescue unit.

3 - Hide AI scouts in unthinkable places so you can catch every bugger trying to sneak through unconventional routes and surprise you. If a scout goes down, jetpack and get a craft to be safe.

4 - If your AIs  get into a messy situation in one of the fronts,  jump out and order a reserve Sabre(always keep a lot of Sabres on standby)  to pick you up and go to solve the problem first hand.

5- When your units are annihilated through one of the attacking paths, get out and get a ride because you don't "see" anymore what passes through there.

6- The most painful one :-D; when you hear the sound of an Archer nearby, it is TOO late :-(, so watch VERY carefully the Archerrs that follow attack lines somehow close to your bunker.

These and other lesser rules, guarantee a good direction of the game until I reach the necessary build-up of forces that allow me to go myself at the front.

The actual play with strong jammers wug, it is not far from my philosophy: no bomber; see and destroy first the defense line of the base with Plasma modded Attila; order your loyal followers :-D to shoot everything that moves (unfortunately this now  doesn't work with strong jammers).

APCs r evil

Yep, Bunker Jockeyâ,,¢

Bunker Jockeys are pretty easy to spot, all you have to do is watch their constructors going off to "safe spots."

Bunker Newbies on the other hand are a bit harder to spot, the only way you can tell if someone is a Bunker Newbie is if you don't see their ship zooming around.

The only good reason to get in a bunker is to get a quick look at several far-off points on the map for whatever reason, even then it's risky.