• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

problems

Started by slasherc4, December 04, 2006, 05:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slasherc4

Thank you both, it works now  :-D

slasherc4

Um, another thing. Do I have to do it to the mods too? Because normal BZ2 is working normally, but my mods are doing what normal BZ used to.

GSH

Most MODs haven't converted over to the dxt textures. A shame, really, as they've got better quality and speed.

-- GSH

slasherc4

Commando

Yeah, you shouldn't see the issue with any mods.  I converted all of the textures for FE, but I never released those textures.  I did the same for Lizard's fleshstorm mod and sent the files to Lizard.

Raven

DXT textures are a problem with me too, they are very blocky.

Anyhoo. Depends on the mod. New textures probably won't have the DXT textures. But the textures that are used from patch13.pak (anything that isn't new) will still be DXT. So the stock stuff will look bad, and the new stuff unique to the mod will look ok to you.
This can be overcame by using MM5 and adding in the /nodxt to the commandline options section, though mine never saves this, so you might have to do it every time depending on if it saves or not.

As for self-exe mods, just make a shortcut and do what you did before.

mrtwosheds

QuoteDXT textures are a problem with me too, they are very blocky.
Try creating them from 512x512 textures not 256x256.
I have redone my dalek skins in 512x512 and they look great!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Raven

I mean the ones that come with 1.3 :P

GSH

Raven - what's your video card? Have you tried playing with the mipbias in pb3? There's some tools by nVidia to preview what DXT texures should look like at http://developer.nvidia.com/object/General_FAQ.html#t2 .

Dx - DXT textures are a modified bitdepth, and created from 16/32 bits as desired. See some sites like http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Texture_Format or   I think if your graphics card supports 2048x2048 (as DX9 cards should support), then BZ2 could use tga or dxt textures at that size. However, not all cards support that size. (That i815 that started this thread? Probably 512x512 max.) Using dxt textures is best for insnely high textures, as the BZ2 dxtgen will automatically create enough mipmaps that textures in the distance are properly sized.

-- GSH

Raven

(Inno3D) Nvidia geforce MX 4000
I openly admit that my card isn't anything good :P It gets me by :D

I'll take a look, thanks for the reference. Sounds good if it would work right :P

And I don't know what a mipbias is :P

sabrebattletank

Ah, I had one of those cards for a while until I was able to convince my dad to splurge and buy a new one.

Red Devil

MIPBIAS adjustment is in Gameprefs.ini and using the bold console command:

// This is a value from -2 .. 2 (default 0). As the value decreases
// (towards -2), there will tend to be more pixel detail, but at the
// chance of slightly more sparkly textures. As the value increases
// (towards 2), it'll tend to be smoother, but at the expense of
// detail. Adjustable ingame with the 'vid.render.mipbias' variable.
ShellMipBias = -1
GameMipBias = -0.5

// Number of mipmaps that should be autogenerated for loaded
// textures. This ought to improve graphical performance, at the cost
// of a little more memory on the graphics card (and main memory). BZ2
// 1.0-1.2 used 0 for some textures, 3 for others. Valid values are
// 0-16, with illegal values resetting to 4. Using a value of 0 here
// will cause in-game graphics to be REALLY sparkly. You don't want to do
// that. Note: the DXT textures used by 1.3pb3 and higher ignore this
// value.
DesiredMipCount = 8
What box???

Raven

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH I see.
Cheers

GSH

Actually, the problem is the Geforce MX 4000. Quoting http://developer.nvidia.com/object/General_FAQ.html#t2 (what I linked to above) :

DXT1 has 16 bit interpolation on GF2 and GF3. Most textures will compress fine with DXT1 on these platforms. Textures with smooth gradients may have problems and this can often be fixed by adding dithering during compression. DXT3 and DXT5 are always interplated int 32 bits, and can be used if DXT1 has problems.

Sometimes, I'm tempted to raise BZ2's HW requirements just so that some really broken hardware is cut off.

-- GSH

Red Devil

I think that is an excellent plan.  The hardware's only going to keep getting better.
What box???