• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Glow textures?

Started by spiritplumber, January 25, 2007, 09:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizard

Quote from: Red Spot on February 03, 2007, 08:01:14 AM
perhaps a bit slow but just to clear on it ...

what I'm making from this is that I basicly by using sort of a "dark/light" texture as skin and than a (kinda)"all apha" as glow texture can make 1 race look very diff. when teamcolors are applied?

basicly meaning like you now have that the ISDF go "all" red or blue I could make "only" the orange part go red/blue and leave the grey/etc exactly the same?

G

yes that sounds like you've got it.

mrtwosheds

BUT....
It can look really BAD with full graphics and a low light map, as the glow parts of the model are on full brightness all the time, while the rest can go almost black. Tried  to get team colors off of my Dalek "balls" like this, It looks awfull at night, you can see the illuminated parts from miles away.
It looks ok when lighting is off.

spiritplumber

I'm TRYING to get that effect for my TRON stuff! Any help greatly appreciated :)

mrtwosheds

Its easy, you get a half decent prog like photoshop. open your original texture yourskin00.pic place the mask over bits to be illuminated and save the mask as an alpha channel, save the texture as yourskina0.pic, load into bz and watch it glow.

spiritplumber

So.... the glowy bits have to be full white AND full alpha?

The parts you want to glow should be shown as white in the alpha channel.  The brighter the white the brighter they'll glow.  So, grey on the alpha channel will glow a little, and pure white will glow a lot.

-Av-

mrtwosheds

The other way to make glowing bits on models.
Requires the emmisive option (In threed) to be set for a whole frame, like the earlights on my avatar pic.
This can be done without threed, by simply adding __e to the end of the frame/mesh name (in notepad)

Funny, isn't it, how you can do roughly the same thing two different ways?  The glow textures were for the Scions, and the emitter bits for the ISDF, and to me the end result looks the same...  The only difference I see is that the emitters don't have a range, while the glow textures can go from a slight glow to full out.

It's almost like Pandemic split completely in two, one side developing each race, and then they merged them together...   :)

-Av-

Red Spot

yet an other few things to play with ..  8-)

Thanks guys ..;)

G
*Something intelligent, yet funny*

Dianoga4

I put a post here a couple of days ago with a picture. Did it get deleted or did the post not go through or something?

Dia

Zero Angel

Server move. A lotta stuff got wiped. Avatars are missing too, and its unlikely that we will be getting them back. -- Don't ask.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Dianoga4

Yea I read some about that, thought I had posted afterwards but maybe not anyways thanks for the response Zero.

Dia