• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Can a ship pilot a ship?

Started by Nielk1, March 26, 2007, 12:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nielk1

I know I have become a bit of a nuisance with my random suggestions and annoyances here.
I got a good one this time, I swear!!!!

I think that that code allowing pilots to pilot craft is under that class's code (I can't be sure), is it possable to add this code to other unit types so that it is active when the correct tag is present, ie: "pilotCraft = 1 //default 0"

The reason I ask is, I see a lot of mods that are using airplane, space, and under water maps and think that in some of these, pilots are not appropriate.  I would like to add an escape craft to a spaceplane, which I can do by editing a BZN, but also have this escape craft able to enter another empty unit and take control of it, as a pilot would.

Playing Fleshtorm, I notice that the Mecha 'pilots' are hover vehicles and thus cannot sneak into your base and steel your craft.  I also notice that Lizard had to make a special pilot for the swarm for multiplayer.  I like that special swarm pilot BTW, but I think that it would be neat if the swarm units you ask to "pick me up" would have the standard scuttle inside and that scuttle be able to use the ship I just exited.  OK, FS isn't the best example because it is fine as it is and I personally think the pilot is the best of all I have seen in Battlezone, but you get my point and reasoning.

Click on the image...

A ship can pilot a ship, but you will then BE a ship.  You can't eject from yourself...  and in the past a craft acting as a pilot ejecting from a craft has caused crashes.  I have no idea if it works without crashing in 1.2 or the current 1.3.

And of course, as OM will point out I'm sure it can be done via DLL...  just watch for the pilot to eject and give him an 'escape pod' when he does.

-Av-

Nielk1

I know about he hole eject from your self and die/crash.

Can eject and hop-out be turned off for a craft?

I know you can have a craft in a craft, but you can't get back in once you get out!

Click on the image...

Commando

Yes there are two odf flags available in 1.3.  One preventing the player from bailing out and the other preventing the player from hopping out.  Both are set so the player can hop and bail out, but you have the option of disabling them.

Nielk1

Oh, that takes care of that problem, and I know I can put a unit in a ship, but for the life of me I cant get it to go back in once it hops out!

Click on the image...

Tempest Storm

Why not just get creative?

Make a pilot mesh that looks like some kind of space suit or whatever and give it a jetpack to move around with and get to a new ship.

One thing I wanted to do with BZRAP was, since the Cerberi had no pilots integrate it so Cerberi players could switch between ships without hoping out of their craft, as it would be impossible. So I was gonna have the DLL setup to transfer the player to the friendly ship they would select for a few seconds. It gives a good feel of you as the player actually being in command of the AI itself rather than somebody trapped in the cockpit, and also gives the Cerberi a + and -, no pilots and sniping although you can have fast manuverability between units.

1.3 will be in development for the next 300 years if we want it to include all the modding features we want... so why not try and find workarounds too? (Not that it's a bad thing to request features but also see if you can fix what you want to do without the code's help)

Angstromicus

I've done some pretty crazy stuff with that idea. I edited an ASCII .bzn file for a map of mine. There was a value that told what was inside of a craft. I changed it to something different. ANYTHING worked, including buildings. I ejected as a gun tower, another ship (heck, I think I even ejected as a recyclear).

Red Devil

What box???

Steeveeo

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Nielk1

Quote from: Total Oblivion Omnis on March 28, 2007, 08:32:38 PM
I've done some pretty crazy stuff with that idea. I edited an ASCII .bzn file for a map of mine. There was a value that told what was inside of a craft. I changed it to something different. ANYTHING worked, including buildings. I ejected as a gun tower, another ship (heck, I think I even ejected as a recyclear).

Treid that before, but you can't get into another unit!

Click on the image...

Treiss

Tried turning back into pilot class, and also allowing pilotting of a craft together? I don't know how to, but I learn the process from watching you guys  :-)

sabrebattletank

But haven't pilots given trouble with animations before?