• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

My com can't run 1.3pb3 :cry:

Started by Warfreak, June 22, 2007, 01:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warfreak

My pc won't run 1.3pb3 long enough for me to play. I can open it up, I can watch the intro.bik, but once the login shell is supposed to run I get the blue screen of death saying something and then my system crashed before I have a chance to see what the problem is.

So, 1.is there a way to read previous B.S.D logs without me going and crashing my com again.
and 2. Can this be fixed.

If pb4 will cause the same thing to happen when I try It, I guess I am doomed to being left behind by the BZII community.....................again...........................so your help in fixing this will be Very much appreciated.

Thank you.

p.s. yes I am a problem magnet and yes I really want to use the features offered by 1.3pb3.

Commando

You might need to update some of your drivers.

Warfreak

I can't tell if these are bad specs so here they are.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Processor: Intel Pentium III, ~490MHz
             Memory: 512MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Direct3D:    0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)
Display Devices
---------------
        Card name: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro (Microsoft Corporation)
     Manufacturer: NVIDIA
        Chip type: RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro
         DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
       Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0028&SUBSYS_5A001092&REV_11
   Display Memory: 32.0 MB
     Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
          Monitor: Dell P780
  Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
      Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
   Driver Version: 6.14.0010.5673 (English)
      DDI Version: 7
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 8/4/2004 02:56:44, 4274816 bytes
      WHQL Logo'd: Yes
  WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
              VDD: n/a
         Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 8/4/2004 00:29:54, 1897408 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4368-11CF-0B65-0A7AB0C2CB35}
        Vendor ID: 0x10DE
        Device ID: 0x0028
        SubSys ID: 0x5A001092
      Revision ID: 0x0011
      Revision ID: 0x0011
      Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_B ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
         Registry: OK
     DDraw Status: Enabled
       D3D Status: Enabled
       AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run
Sound Devices
-------------
            Description: SB Live! Wave Device
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
            Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80221102&REV_05
        Manufacturer ID: 1
             Product ID: 100
                   Type: WDM
            Driver Name: emu10k1m.sys
         Driver Version: 5.12.0001.3300 (English)
      Driver Attributes: Final Retail
            WHQL Logo'd: Yes
          Date and Size: 8/17/2001 07:19:26, 283904 bytes
            Other Files:
        Driver Provider: Microsoft
         HW Accel Level: Full
              Cap Flags: 0xF5F
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 5000, 100000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 64, 62
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 64, 62
              HW Memory: 0
       Voice Management: Yes
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
   I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
      Sound Test Result: Not run

Description: Modem #0 Line Playback (emulated)
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No
            Hardware ID:
        Manufacturer ID: 1
             Product ID: 81
                   Type: Emulated
            Driver Name:
         Driver Version:
      Driver Attributes:
            WHQL Logo'd:
          Date and Size:
            Other Files:
        Driver Provider:
         HW Accel Level: Full
              Cap Flags: 0x0
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
              HW Memory: 0
       Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
   I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
      Sound Test Result: Not run

If this doesn't help identify if my sound and graphics drivers need an upgrade, ill delete the post.

Hope this helps.........................

GSH

To get more info from BSODs, do the follow:

- Right click on My Computer, select properties.
- In dialog, pick the 'Advanced' tab, then click on 'Startup and Recovery ... 'Settings'
- In dialog, under 'System Failure', there should be an option for 'Automatically restart'. Uncheck it.

-- GSH

Commando

I get a driver crash every once in a while while running Battlezone II version 1.3, but that is not battlezone 2's falut as far as I can tell.  My issue occurs while I am ingame, so I'm able to play a little bit before the blue screen comes.

GSH

Looking at your hardware, your system is *ancient*. If anything, I'd suspect it's the sound card that's problematic, as 1.3's sound code was upgraded to DirectSound 8 (part of DirectX 8; DirectSound hasn't been updated since then). 1.3's graphics code has remained on DX6. As the 1.3 readme (the file named 'Readme13.rtf'' in the same directory as bzone.exe) says, you can try putting "/nods" on the commandline to completely turn off sound. See if that makes BZ2 run any better.

-- GSH

Warfreak

Thnks GSH, but just to make sure thats the case I need to read the BSOD. To do that, based of of what you told me, I should purposly get It and read it from there??? I'm not sure that my Computer can take that kind of torture.

Yes my cpu is a "relic", I've had it since 2000. My dad amped up the drivers to BZ2's needs since we both planned to play it and I've used it since. Keyboard and mouse maxed out and replaced twice since then.

Anyhow, thnxs for the help and wish me well with my visit to  :evil: Blue hell :evil: .... :-D

GSH

Yes, I'm telling you to deliberately cause a BSOD so that you can read what it says. That's the best course of action if we're going to help you.

(Tip: if you've got a digital camera, it can help record what the BSOD says. Be sure to review the picture(s) it took for focus)

-- GSH

Warfreak

Ok, Im back. The BSOD basically said that my computer's drivers might be outdated, that my computer might be damaged, and that I should try using a SAFE mode to avoid seeing the screen again.

I'll test the no sound mode and if that doesn't work I'll come back.

Thanks again!!!!

Warfreak

"/nods" does not work. However my second visit to the BSOD did have this:
Technical Information:
STOP: 0x0000008e(0XC00000D5, 0XBF0E3152, 0XF39A576C, 0X0000000)
nv4_disp.DLL - Address BF0E3152 base at BF012000, Datestamp 411096D7

Care to give your thoughts???

Commando

nv4_disp.dll looks like it is refering to display drivers.  You may need to update your video card's drivers.  ANother thing to check.

add /nodxt to your shortcut's commandline and see if that allows pb3 to run.

Commando

If it is indeed a dxt issue, the issue will be addressed in public beta 4 since it auto determines whether dxt textures are loaded or not.

For now, you will have to manually disable dxt textures through your shortcut's commandline.

/nodxt

Looking at your info posted above, my suspicion points to dxt textures.  The above information indicates you have a TNT card which most likely doesn't support dxt textures since Geforce 2 cards don't.

GSH

If it gave the name of a driver (e.g. ctaud2k.sys -- most driver filenames end in ".sys"), you can google it to see what piece of hardware it wants.

Creative's drivers for the Soundblaster Live (original) stank. I had the hardest time doing an upgrade on my system years ago. I've got an Xi-Fi ExtremeMusic that I think has been working well, but I blamed it for crashes in Oblivion on my box. I think that was actually transient memory faults.

-- GSH

Warfreak

um, yeah, /nodxt is not working for reasons unknown. i could try a combination of handicaps. Mostly /nods and /nodxt in conjunction. It might work, but I'll try later

Warfreak

My conjunction test was successful!!! 1.3pb3 is now playable by me.

Thnxs for the help guys!!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D......wait, oh, turns out I never used /nodxt the first time around, instead I just typed it and didn't save the change. BTW, Im using the modmanager's commandline editor.