• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

I found a cool site for WW II combat vehicles for making BZ II models.

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, March 16, 2008, 07:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_WWII_combat_vehicles I use the plane object primitive in GSL to paint a photograph onto it and then use the polyline tool to drawn out the model textured onto the plane object and then extrude the main parts. I did this once for an M-1 Abrams tank model I constructed a while back from several photographs scanned to file and then applied as a texture to the plane object. Afterwords the original texture can be face painted onto the extruded faces to make a nice looking textured surface. One question I have is can customized bump textures be made for things like tank tracks? Tanks...BNG 
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

mrtwosheds

Bump textures...I dunno, as far as I understand it there is/was only one type of video card that supported bump mapping in bz2. I don't have one, so I don't make bump textures. Shame, Daleks need bumps.

Angstromicus

I've been able to get unit models in the ~2500 - ~3000 poly range before. Maybe if you make an extremely detailed model for up close viewing :).

Nielk1

Click on the image...

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

mrtwosheds

QuoteMaybe if you make an extremely detailed model for up close viewing
Adding 48 half spheroids to the unit would give it a higher poly count than the whole base...

anomaly

Quote from: mrtwosheds on March 17, 2008, 11:38:17 AM
Bump textures...I dunno, as far as I understand it there is/was only one type of video card that supported bump mapping in bz2. I don't have one, so I don't make bump textures. Shame, Daleks need bumps.

I think most video cards can use bump maps in 1.3. I know I can use them in 1.3 while they hadn't worked very well for me  in 1.2.

As far as how to implement them, I don't know.   I guess take a look at the textures in the bumps.pak.

Spawn

Quote from: mrtwosheds on March 17, 2008, 04:42:57 PM
Adding 48 half spheroids to the unit would give it a higher poly count than the whole base...
You could just add one sphere with a billion pieces and it would have a higher poly count than all the models in bz2 combined, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

VSMIT

I believe they add more detail to a model by simulating grooves or bumps in the mesh, but without actually editing the mesh.  To see the difference, do an IA game, turn bumpmapping off, go up to your recy, open up the options menu (while looking at the recy), and turn bumpmapping on.  There should be a noticeable difference in how the recy looks.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Spawn

I believe it is usually bound to the C key.  I know scions have them, I think the swarm does too, not sure if lizard put them on any other races though.

anomaly

It's right there under graphics options.  And yes, in general they are used to simulate texture(bumps, grooves, etc.) on the skins of objects.  To do so, they use a gray scale picture, with white areas fully showing specular lighting while black areas don't show specular lighting at all.  At least that's my general understanding of bump maps and I assume they work the same in Bz2.  Unfortunately, the bump maps are in that stupid .pic form so I can't take a direct look at them.

I never really thought the bump maps looked super great but, I think that might have more to do with the actual .pic and the fact that they are all rather low resolution than the engine not displaying them properly.

To add them to your ships, I guess just try adding them when you skin your models and see if they show up in game.

OvermindDL1

Bump maps are a type of light map, it defines the angle the light is reflected off of a surface, thus making it seem like a flat surface, for example, could be perfectly round (at least from head-on, from edge it is still obviously flat).  Think of normal mapping as bump mapping for the polygons rather then the texture/light, they actually deform the model on the video card to add more detail there.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

TheJamsh

gets so damn complicated

and what on EARTH

is anistropic filtering or whateevr?!?!

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.