• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

X2XSI problems

Started by TheJamsh, December 04, 2007, 03:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OvermindDL1

Try the animation support in B3D, I have the basics of the exporting done (maybe complete), but it is still pretty untested as any files I have received as tests did not implement animation correctly to begin with.  Also, I do not think I have bones complete, started yes, but not complete I think...

BNG Da BZ Fool

Will do OM. Compared with what I've modeling with Blender should equate to a nice free modeling upgrade over the seemingly endless gambit of so so 3d modelers presently on my system. The texturing method that B3D uses is quite extensive, but relatively easy to comprehend. The modeling  controls are easy enough to make and transform simple premade geo. shapes, but I guess GSL spoiled my on making custom shapes using it's polyline and sweep (extrusion) tool. That'll be one of my priorities to master as I'm going to try to exclusively use Blender to make all future models and props with. It'll take a while to get the hang of Blenders UI, but once I do I'll also start importing existing models into B3D for eventual conversion to your XSI format. Blender, is well documented and I recently DL'ed a Wikibook titled, "Blender from noob to pro," and made it available offline on my system. It covers most topics from basic tutorials to advances ones as well. As I learn more about Blender then I'll start posting some simply tutorials for others to use as well.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

OvermindDL1

Remember, if you find any bugs, poke me. :)

BNG Da BZ Fool

Will do OM, but first I need to make sure I understand things throughly before posting as I realize that the necessary steps must be done correctly per the way Blender needs things to be done in order for objective analysis to make any sense. Once I understand Blender better then I should be able to apply that knowledge towards producing some fully textured animated models. The nice thing too is that because the same modeler is being used the results can be tested/shared by other peeps to replicate/test the results, and spot problems fairly easy, i.e., via the blender file equivalent. What I'm going to do is save a blend file of my models for you and others to DL @ Filefront in addition to the XSI exported files. If you have any other feedback then feel free to PM me as needed...BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

BNG Da BZ Fool

Quote from: Avatar on January 06, 2008, 05:50:16 AM
Um...not really.

'X' is direct x.
'XSI' is direct x "Soft Image" style...  see?  XSI = "X, Soft Image"

The formats are the same if you take into account the extra things that Soft Image added to support their own items.

That's why X2XSI works, because at the time it was made the text version of a regular .X file was virtually identical to the text version of a .XSI file.

X2XSI was created before Pandemic released the exporter for Max, so doing animations was still a far off dream...

-Av-

Sorry to bring up an old post again AV, but when you refered to x and xsi files as being virtually indentical does that mean with some notepad editing as MTS suggests would make an x file compatible with BZII xsi?

OvermindDL1

Yes, and I have detailed the changes needed over a number of posts here. :)

Bah, freakin no posting within 30 seconds of last post freakin annoyance, hit that 4 times this session so far...

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

anomaly

Quote from: BNG Da BZ Fool on January 16, 2008, 11:04:30 AM
  The X format that GSL saves is about the closed looking XSI format I've seen so far; all the other variants look totally different (more like something you'd see in a HTML page you know> <7EM4MFJ5J68FKDSKL97J>, etc.

Were you opening the files in Notepad or Wordpad?  When I exported .x files from Cinema 4D I noticed that they open fine in a word processor like Wordpad or TextEdit(Mac) but, when opened in Notepad they appeared as mostly garbeled characters and random numbers.  Not sure why.

There were/are two versions of Direct X files, one in plain text and one in compressed text.

X2XSI only worked with the plain text version of .X because at heart it's just a text editor.

-Av-

OvermindDL1

And BZ2 *only* supports the text format as well.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey