• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

So, mines don't use ammo?

Started by Avatar, January 12, 2008, 06:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is there a way to make a mine actually use the ammo it shows?  So far it looks like the only thing they respect is their lifespan... 

Am I missing something?  I need a mine that uses ammo...

-Av-

Steeveeo

What? Mines use ammo, unless you're using a modded version.

If its the latter, post the ODFs.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

mrtwosheds

? Mines use ammo.
maxAmmo = 200
They use the ammo of the object that produces them, a ship, or a splinter etc
so if you want a splinter to only produce 1 mine you would give it maxAmmo = 200 as well

General BlackDragon

what you trying to make? i'll make it for you if it's a weapon :)

*****General BlackDragon*****

I don't mean taking ammo to drop the mine...  I mean whatever ordnance the mine uses doesn't cost the mine itself any ammo.

Take the Solar Flare again as an example...  the 'flaremine.odf' costs you 100 to drop one:

[GameObjectClass]
geometryName = "igflar00.xsi"
classLabel = "flare"
scrapCost = 0
scrapValue = 0
maxHealth = 150
maxAmmo = 100
unitName = "Solar Flare"
heatSignature = 100.0

[MineClass]
lifeSpan = 10.0

[FlareMineClass]
payloadName = "flarepuff"
fireSound = "smine01.wav"
triggerDelay = 2.0
shotDelay = 0.02
shotVariance = 0.2
damageRadius = 20.0
damageValue(N) = 100 // none
damageValue(L) = 50 // light
damageValue(H) = 5 // heavy
damageValue(S) = 50 // standard
damageValue(D) = 100 // deflection
damageValue(A) = 5 // absorbtion
kickRadius = 20.0
kickVeloc = 0.2
kickOmega = 0.5

I guess that's the '100' shown as MaxAmmo for the mine.

The mine generates damage on it's own, plus uses 'flarepuff.odf' as an ordnance.  Those are the balls of fire it shoots straight up, which are actually bullets.

[OrdnanceClass]
classLabel = "bullet"

shotGeometry = NULL
shotRadius = 1.0
xplGround = "xflmhit"
xplVehicle = "xflmhit"
xplBuilding = "xflmhit"

renderName = "flarepuff.puff"
ammoCost = 25
lifeSpan = 1.0
shotSpeed = 50.0

damageValue(N) = 25
damageValue(L) = 5
damageValue(H) = 2
damageValue(S) = 10
damageValue(D) = 25
damageValue(A) = 2

[Puff]
renderBase = "draw_twirl"
textureName = "flame2.tga"
textureBlend = "one one modulate"
startColor = "255 255 255 128"
finishColor = "255 255 255 0"
startRadius = 1.0
finishRadius = 5.0
animateTime = 1.0

Each of these 'bullets' cost 25, as listed in "ammocost", but in actuality they're free to the mine.  The mine can pump out as many as it wants as long as it's alive, in this case 10 seconds.

So it's pumping out bullets but not paying for them by using ammo...  all it's doing is waiting to die...

What I'd like is a mine that uses ammo, so that a Service Truck could come along and 'recharge it'.  No, I can't just use a turret...  there can't be any AI process involved, it just needs to start shooting and keep shooting until it runs out of ammo.  Then along comes a Service Truck to refill it and it goes back to shooting.

See?  And I'm being stymied by the fact that to a mine the ordnance is free...

-Av-

mrtwosheds

QuoteWhat I'd like is a mine that uses ammo, so that a Service Truck could come along and 'recharge it'
I had to put serviceTruckAutoHeal = 0 on all of my mines to stop service trucks trying to heal them, because without it they would rush off away from the GT's into the fire-fight zone to heal mines and die. Nobody needs suicidal service trucks.

Yes, but that's the health side of the mine which is handled normally.  It's the ammo side that's cheating, giving the mine free shots...

I understand that the intent was to allow mines to be dropped using normal amounts of ammo, and that charging the player for the total ammo a mine would use (like Splinter, for instance) would be kindof nuts and defeat part of the purpose of dropping mines...

It's just that it would be great for my purposes to have a mine that needed ammo to fire...  I'm disappointed that I can't make it work.

-Av-

mrtwosheds

Have you tried local ammo?
Service truck may need to be altered for it to heal, may have consequences.

Well, when a weapon uses localammo it's part of the weapon itself (the 'g' file), not the ordnance.   Although, I guess a mine IS the weapon...  hmmm...  Guess I can try it.

Nope, localammo specified in the mine itself is ignored, and since a mine uses an ordnance and not a weapon looks like that's out.

I can sortof do what I want with a GT class object, but it won't just fire until it runs out of ammo...  it'll only be active when an enemy is nearby, which I was trying to avoid.   Darn...

-Av-

Nielk1

Or a weapon mine with the same result.

Click on the image...

Red Devil

Your GT is going to fire mines?   Talk about a minelayer.  :lol:
What box???

Nonono...

I need continuous fire and GT's don't do that.   Nothing does that except mines, and they ignore ammo requirements for ordnance, so I'm SOL.  (not the Sun, either...)  :)

So, the next best thing is to set up my application as a GT or weaponmine, in which case it'll only fire when there's an enemy around.  I've done this before, using a GT with Archer AI so it activates even when an enemy isn't in line of site.

I'd MUCH rather set it up as a mine, though.  Still ticked that I can't make one use ammo.

-Av-

Nielk1

Why not just use the lifespan? Or do you want the mine to be serviceable? What is going on?

Click on the image...

Red Devil

Maybe you could set the triggerRadius to 1e6.
What box???

anomaly

Is it possible to place taps on a mine? If so, I have an idea in mind that would solve your problems.

Plus, there is always dll....