• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Yeah well I'm screwed

Started by Raven, January 25, 2008, 05:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nielk1

Verifying my last Battlezone disk as I type.

Click on the image...

shane ward

I have an Idea raven
It is a long shot and a shot in the dark, but if you had the drives for a long time and they where running fine until they both blow at the same time, I can only guess that there was some kind of power serge from your power supply that took out your hard drives.

My Idea is for you to inspect the Hard drives PCB Board and check for any circuit components that might have blown off or missing. EG, Missing capacitors, Resisters, Diodes and so on. You can normally see the shiny soldered parts are missing something when the shine has disappeared or it looks like something should have been there. (My guess is that what you are looking for is near the power section of the board.)

If you find some, try bridging it and that might give you some time to recover your data before the drive fails again. A friend at work used to do this to drives that failed and it was successful.

Good luck.
Battlezone 2 Mod and Map Maker.
See my site: -
http://www.shanesdoomwads.freeservers.com/bz2

Nielk1

Never thought of that, it makes sense.

Click on the image...

Steeveeo

That is, considering that Raven hasnt already tossed them out...lets hope not.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Red Devil

There's commercial data recover sites that will pull the platters and recover pretty much anything, even from ones that have been in fires.
What box???

Ye$, there are tho$e type$ of companie$...

$eem$ like there wa$ a drawback to u$ing them, though, but I can't quite remember what it wa$...

-Av-

($nake$ go "hi$$$$$$$")  :lol:

Steeveeo

Quote from: Avatar on May 01, 2008, 05:34:06 AM
Ye$, there are tho$e type$ of companie$...

$eem$ like there wa$ a drawback to u$ing them, though, but I can't quite remember what it wa$...

-Av-

($nake$ go "hi$$$$$$$")  :lol:

Cant $ay he would $pend any le$$, paying for the cla$$e$ and whatnot to learn how to do it him$elf.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

shane ward

lol.... you might get the odd :) from time to time.
Battlezone 2 Mod and Map Maker.
See my site: -
http://www.shanesdoomwads.freeservers.com/bz2

BNG Da BZ Fool

Another  part to look at on the drive board is a fusible link similar to a circuit breaker that auto blows under certain conditions. You'd need a simple circuit tester and a 12 volt power supply. If Raven still has the drives that is and an old PC to test them in as I would not do the operation in my primary system for obvious reasons.

Not long ago my PC refused to boot no matter what I tried. It would go through the process, but after initially reading the drives; it just stopped and all that happened was my system speaker would beep rhythmically and do nothing else. My first thoughts were that my drive too had bit the dust, but after some tinkering with the CMOS and BIOS reset jumpers on the motherboard my system miraculously came back to life again.
Seriously folks I was already planning on having to buy a new PC altogether. For what it's worth...I'd give some serious thought to retrying a few things as suggested considering how much work Raven put into his work...BNG
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

BNG Da BZ Fool

This is truly weird...my PC failed to boot again, but this time I read on another forum (using another PC at the time) that this problem can happen if stuff like a system speaker wire or other connector wigges loose, and sure enough after I opened the case and reseated any obvious connectors the PC booted just fine. Anyways, backing up your BZII stuff is absolutely essential.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.