• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Yeah well I'm screwed

Started by Raven, January 25, 2008, 05:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Devil

I think the reason they are a little more sensitive is due to the increased densities allowed by using magnetic media that allows a lower magnetic signature that allows more info to be packed into a smaller area.

Therefore, they're more sensitive to power fluctuations and spikes.  Seems like we may need power conditioners now.
What box???

Steeveeo

As I said before, and I say it again for EVERYBODY, enlist as many backup sources as possible and THEN some!

Find at least 3 different online storage sites (without download inactivity meters) and at least 3 friends to send backups to.

Doing that will make your mods basically impervious to any kind of data loss except, perhaps, a global EMP strike! :roll:

@Raven: Take the drive to a tech geek and see if he/she cant get anything from it.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Nielk1

Quote from: Steeveeo on January 31, 2008, 04:16:37 PM
Doing that will make your mods basically impervious to any kind of data loss except, perhaps, a global EMP strike! :roll:

That's what laser media is for. DVDs.

Click on the image...

OvermindDL1

I have multiple Seagate FreeAgent 500GB drives (they are $129 at the local OfficeMax, the closest thing we have to a computer store here, so the same price as average on the net, unless you find it for sell there, so buy a couple of those), I have a terabyte of storage on my webserver, I have a DVD drive (which I have used once, and that was for someone else), I have other computers on my network that I store stuff on, etc... etc...

Thumbdrives are expensive, and are more volatile then a good external hard drive or ten. :)

Lizard

those freeagent drives from seagate are really nice I bought one after my latest HDD disaster, they've got a 5 year guarantee with them too.

BNG Da BZ Fool

Networking 2 PC's together via Ethernet cables would be one relatively inexpensive way of regularly backing up data; considering most peeps have multiple PC's nowadays with Ethernet cards being pretty much common nowadays; which reminds me to follow my own advise and backup up my BZII related stuff as well as other data files too. I mean if you think about it a bit; a drive can go belly up at anytime and backing things up makes quite a bit of just plain common sense. Another viable option would be a USB external drive; they seem fairly inexpensive nowadays.
If nothing else Raven's misfortune should be a wake up call for other modders to take action before it's too late. I like the DVD backup idea as well as I have 2 recorders on my system that I rarely use for much of anything; additionally I have another one installed on my other PC via home LAN network. I guess in a way we should think of networking as a basically freely available backup system and look at networked PC's as one system rather then just two PC's connected by a cable. As I recall someone said that Raven lost 2 drives simultaneously? That is odd if not down right suspicious to say the least?
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Raven

It's even mroe annoying because I *could* have backed up on DVDs or CDs but I was too much of a tard to think about it ¬¬

Red Devil

"Ah! But have you not gained something even more precious than gold because of this misfortune, Grasshoppa?"

"What is that, Master Po?"

"Wisdom, Grasshoppa!  Wisdom!"

*Grasshoppa kicks Master Po in the knee*
What box???

Raven

Oh and I forgot to add that I actually DID its just that they mysteriously got used for other reasons...

Life goes on, I'm not going anywhere as I love the game and community, but I guess mods over. Well on the bright side I guess I don't have to worry about spare time anymore.

Nielk1

I haven't backed up any of the ARC Clan's Mod's preliminary work either. If I lose my HDD that will sink pretty far.

Click on the image...

OvermindDL1

Nielk1

I kept toasting DVDs, I finaly found if I burn at 8x instead of 16x I don't get a bunch of errors during verification. The disks apear to work, but I don't trust them when they have errors like that.

Click on the image...

OvermindDL1

Anytime I record DVD's or CD's I always record at the slowest selectable speed (12x for cd's and 4x for dvd's on my current burner), never had issues then.  I originally had 1 1x cd recorder, then I had a couple 2x cd recorder's, then a 4x, then an 8x, then a 12x, then a 48x, then a dvd recorder, which is what I still have now.  The older recorders (my 8x and earlier) did not have buffer underrun protection, meaning that if the computer barely glitched (like even moving the mouse), or you walked around the computer, it kinda killed the burn.  Ever since, I've been a big proponent of recording very slow. :)

Raven

dwilu

too bad u couldn't recover anything... I was looking forward to play that one... :( ...had a similar problem recently, but now I've deal with it... the storm will continue... nvm. if u will decide to make some other mod or maybe start over, and redo rise of Jenova from scratch I'll be glad to help