• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Is it possible to cheat in multiplayer?

Started by darkwarrior, February 02, 2008, 06:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If Sonic starts to scare you just remember the magic words... 

Sit Boy!

:lol:

Just look at Skiing in Tribes.  It was a bug in Tribes, so Tribes 2 eliminated it in the beta and the whole group attacked the Devs...  so they implemented a reasonable approach to it (light/energy can ski like crazy, heavy can only do it a little) and after release caught so much hell from the screaming minority that they slowly patched it back in.  By the time I left, disgusted, Heavies could ski right into your base at Mach 4 just like they could before.

And I still love that game, just am sad that they bowed to the screamers and didn't listen to the more strategy-oriented players.

Still the point is that this is why I feel it's best to provide the options, let the players choose how they want to play the game.  That's definitely the best of all possible worlds.

So, if 1.2 physics had been coded in from the beginning as a switch it would have been the best setup, player-wise.  As it is now I don't think that's possible, but also don't think it's needed as I think we can mod up something very very very close.  Hopefully close enough to make them happy.

We owe it to them to try, at least, but it would require involvement from the target audience...  :)

-Av-

Red Devil

Let me get this straight:

1. People don't play in vet games because the vets use Scout hovering.

2. People complain that the few Strat games up are run by vets.

3. Because there are only a few Strat games up, people want to encourage more Strat games.

4. When an alternative to eliminate hovering is introduced, so that more Strat games are up, they want to add hovering to it...

5. People don't play in vet games because the vets use Scout hovering.

6. People complain that the few Strat games up are run by vets.

7. Because there are only a few Strat games up, people want to encourage more Strat games.
What box???

Nielk1

Click on the image...

Sonic

That only works when your Kagome. :P

As I've commented, my private mod that I made exclusivly for a friend does infact allow you to fly over the map. You can't stay up forever, but you can go great distances. My counter to that though was one-hit wonder towers...not to mention the occasional "Player Killer", aka, a Fury with Helion that exclusivly hunts players. I got my friend conditially reflexed to scream over Teamspeak when he hears a "Cricket" sound. :D
"Linux is user friendly...
...it's just very selective about who its friends are."

No RD, it's more like we're a small community.  I mean meson small...  I'm talking looking at quarks and going "WOW, lookit how big those are!".

On top of that extreme smallness we have a game that no two people see as the same game. 

Add in a dash of old school players who've developed an almost ritualistic method of playing and you have a very static gaming experience.

So the Vets play the Vets and the rest of us play with ourselves...   :evil:

-Av-

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Red Devil

My point is that trying to please one part of the population winds up defeating the purpose of trying to enlarge the population.  Tunnel vision prevents you from seeing the big picture.

*looks askance at Av*
What box???

Commando

The population isn't getting larger, that is the problem.  It is getting smaller.  The only way to really enlarge the population, 1.3's anyways,  is to compromise with the vets.

They are the ones that are active in the online community.  A majority of the anti-flyers aren't even active in the community.

Red Devil

The reason it's getting smaller is because of the use of exploits. 

Example:

A new player joins a vet game and they use hovering, ghosting, etc., to make themselves *unhittable* by the new players.  The new player, says, "Why bother?", and *leaves*.

It's the same reason that players in BF2 get their stats wiped or banned (wall glitching, etc.), which makes them *unhittable* to a new player.

If you try to introduce that into 1.3, then the status quo is maintained and BZ2 continues to have the small community that it has.

Imagine a BZ2 where no exploits exist, where *everybody* is on a level playing field, therefore encouraging new players to join.  Do you think the community will grow?

If not, let's continue doing the same things that we're doing, thinking that things will turn out differently. <== a definition of insanity

What box???

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Nielk1

I try to get others in, but they are all glued to their frigen XBOXs...

Click on the image...

VSMIT

Hmm.  An XBox port of BZ2...  Wonder how well that would turn out?

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Steeveeo

Quote from: VSMIT on February 10, 2008, 12:09:18 AM
Hmm.  An XBox port of BZ2...  Wonder how well that would turn out?

VSMIT.
Probably not well, its amazing how it actually runs on the PC through all the coding, it might cause the XBox to turn into a fury and zap you in the foot.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

VSMIT

Try opening the in-game editor and the console explodes :-P.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Lizard

Quote from: Red Devil on February 09, 2008, 11:36:12 PM
The reason it's getting smaller is because of the use of exploits. 

that's one of the reasons I stopped playing online way back when people started dropping turrets in pools etc. that and the bad attitude of the majority of online players ( I think the hoot storm that blew up over the hovering issue is symptomatic of this, any well balanced individuals would have just accepted it and got on with things  instead of crying like a bunch of spoilt bitches and ripping the online community to shreds over the issue) , it's all about winning to them whatever the cost and that's just no fun at all, I found it far more fun to make mods in the end.