• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

the latest...

Started by TheJamsh, April 09, 2008, 11:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

im curious and annoyed

lets take a look firstly, at teh new awesome graphics provided by the xbox 360 for assasins creed... its amazing...

BUT

look at the SIZE of an XBOX.. compared to my COMPUTER

now why the hell cant we cant graphics and gameplay that smooth with BZII?

can it be done! and if not! why not!

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Axeminister

I'm sure money, time and knowledge have something to do with it.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

General BlackDragon

And angry wives standing behind their husbands with rolling pins  :-D

*****General BlackDragon*****

GSH

BZ2's box specs essentially said that it had to run on Win98, a 166Mhz Pentium 1, 64MB of ram, and a Voodoo 1. That was a decent amount of hardware a decade ago.

The X360 has a *lot* more hardware -- see http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/927749/39988 . Basically, it's got approx 9Ghz more CPU to throw at things. And a LOT more GPU. And a lot more RAM. And, Assassin's Creed doesn't have to be backwards compatible with every mod released in the last decade.

-- GSH

GSH

Also, as I hinted at above, I've taken great strides to stay backwards compatible. BZ2 pb3 should still run on a Win98 box, and a TNT1 or thereabouts. I've deliberately stayed with a slightly older compiler (Visual Studio 2005), and DirectX version so that pb4, when it comes out, should work on Win98. VS2008 and current DirectX SDKs require Win2000 and up. SSE is not required in BZ2, up to and including pb4. There's still support for graphics chips that don't do DXT textures, despite DXT textures being part of the DirectX 6 specs, which came out a year or two *BEFORE* BZ2 did. Why -- because a bunch of BZ2 players are still running on ancient hardware. And you can't get a game like AC to run on those people's systems. (AC's system specs for the windows port are pretty damn steep.)

If there is a pb5 (and I'm NOT promising anything), several steps in backwards compatability will be lost. Win2000 and up, SSE & native DXT will almost certainly be required. (SSE2 is even better, but if there's people having problems w/ SSE, this will catch more people.) PC games take a lot longer to develop and test when you have to handle a wide spread of hardware.

-- GSH

BNG Da BZ Fool

I know there are benefits to updating BZII to the latest PB, but I've lost interest with trying to keep up with them all. What's the latest now PB4 right? I remember when 1.3 first came out which I updated to effectively giving me 2 separate BZII installs on my system. After that I pretty much left things alone other then perhaps DL'ing the various mods released for each respective version. I mean, other then having the latest version installed why would anyone want to spend the extra time required to update their version every time a beta is released anyways?

PS: If I update to the latest version is it okay to skip the in between versions like 2 and 3? Just wondered if it make any real difference. Also, my thoughts on the original post is that somethings should be left alone as BZII is a relatively old video game and if you try to push it too hard to work with todays hardware specs somethings going to seriously break and screw a good thing up.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

GSH

All 1.3 installers are designed to upgrade you from any previous BZ2 version to the latest.

1.3pb4 is still 'close'.

-- GSH

Commando

I don't even have public betas 1 and 2 installed.  As for upgrading, you do not need to install 1 and 2 just to install 3.  Just install public beta 4 over either 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, or earlier versions of 1.3 whenever it comes out.

Nielk1

I guess we can express the release date of pb4 then.

lim    1
x->0  --- = likely hood of release
       x

Where x is what is left to do

Click on the image...

OvermindDL1

Assassin's Creed is also for the computer you know.  Steam has been advertising it for over a week now...

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Nielk1

I've seen that, the requirements are insane.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/01/23/assassin_s_creed_pc_specs_released/1

check the specs out - kinda sad

i really dont see why we need games that are so realistic that people can become lifeless vegetables sitting in front of a computer for weeks at a time

one of the main reasons i love bz is because it has the unreal tinge that makes me remember that i am playing a game - and how do the developers expect people to make mods for a game that advanced?? - all modding will stop because it will just become too hard!!
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Steeveeo

heheh....y'know what's gunna most likely piss off half the people here?

I can run it :wink:

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Nielk1

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or better
RAM: 3GB

I have 1 core and 1 gig. I want to swap out the 2 512 chips for 4 gig ones and give the old ones to my brother for his identical PC to go up to 2 gig

Processor is a bit hard for me to fix...

Click on the image...