• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

the latest...

Started by TheJamsh, April 09, 2008, 11:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSH

I can run it on my main box, too. I've got a Core 2 Duo 6600, 3GB RAM, GeForce 8800GTS 640MB, 10,000 RPM HD, etc. But, as I said above, there are active BZ2 players with video boards that came out before BZ2 did. The 1.3 pb1-pb4 philosophy has been to not shaft them.

-- GSH

bigbadbogie

aww.. those ppl are probably the ones who refuse to even go to the 1.2 patch though
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

OvermindDL1

I could run it no problem, just not sure on how keen I am on buying it, never played a game like it so unsure how my style it will be...  Does not really seem like it would be.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

TheJamsh

well it is a fantastic game... i never knew the XBOX processor was like 9GHz... phew!

i could run it bar i only have 2GB RAM. My BZII is running a lot less smoother than usual actually.. i remmber taking it from my old laptop onto this here computer and good gracious did it make a difference

and i know its VERY cheeky to ask, but is it possible there could be a different Public Beta for those with higher spec systems?

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Don't confuse ratings for RISC or customized processors with those for PCs...  if all a PC had to do was run a game with customized  hardware and game-specific code and drivers you'd see some massive performance boosts and very few incompatability issues.

IOW it's easy to do one specific thing well, harder to do tons of different things well, impossible to do every single thing well.  :)

-Av-

mrtwosheds

? 2 gig of ram should be plenty for bz2.
However any celeron processor would probably struggle with bz2....I had one it was awful, I was glad when its motherboard died.

TheJamsh

'aww hun he didnt mean that' 'strokes computer'

actualyl having said that my damn acer needed a total restore last week due to processor and motherboard related problems

damn nightmare.. good thing my mods on disc =]

GSH

Any celeron? The new ones that are Pentium M/Core (maybe even Core 2) derived are probably pretty decent. Sure, they're going to be slower than a Core 2 Duo, but most things are.

-- GSH

TheJamsh

oh okay no mines core 2 duo actually whats the differnece between these things?

Spawn

They contain different balances of magic and science.

mrtwosheds

QuoteAny celeron? The new ones that are Pentium M/Core (maybe even Core 2) derived are probably pretty decent.
I wouldn't know about their new stuff, And I am unlikely to find out, for me this brand simply stands for low price and low performance now.
It's like, you try Dr Pepper once, think "my god this is disgusting" and throw it away, It does not matter how many times they write "new" on the label, It won't convince me that their product suddenly became nice.

BNG Da BZ Fool

BZII, will always lag with a lot of assets on the playing field no matter how fast the processor, or memory. Part of the problems lie with mod makers themselves that don't seem to take the time to fully test them prior to public release. I can't remember how many times my nephew just got up and walked off in frustration after playing BZII over a simple home LAN setup after the game just seem to freeze up because the AI overwelmed the game with excessive ememy units. I hope this is addressed in PB4. 
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

mrtwosheds

Quoteafter the game just seem to freeze up because the AI overwelmed the game with excessive ememy units
On my current pc, I have never seen this happen. Sometimes the automatic detail reducing function kicks off when you go to the enemy base, but it does not freeze up, Even in 1.2 when it decides to build a mountain of scavs! It slows down, and I have to turn away, but it does not freeze up. The Celeron did, it was designed to be a cheap word processor, not a games machine, It could not handle a pc game who's minimum spec's were 7 years out of date...

Spawn

Was it 1.2 or 1.3?

If it was 1.3, what version and/or mods were on?
Quote from: BNG Da BZ Fool on April 18, 2008, 12:07:45 PM
BZII, will always lag with a lot of assets on the playing field no matter how fast the processor, or memory. Part of the problems lie with mod makers themselves that don't seem to take the time to fully test them prior to public release. I can't remember how many times my nephew just got up and walked off in frustration after playing BZII over a simple home LAN setup after the game just seem to freeze up because the AI overwelmed the game with excessive ememy units. I hope this is addressed in PB4. 

Quote from: BNG Da BZ Fool on April 18, 2008, 12:07:45 PM

AI overbuild has been addressed in many ways, from the 'Idle Dispatcher' sending 'lost' units to their doom against your Base Defenses, to the AIP expansions that allow much better control over how many of each unit is running around on the map. 

-Av-