• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

terrain pb4 request

Started by bigbadbogie, April 26, 2008, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbadbogie

GSH... i have been experimenting with texture files on the terrain and i tried reflection3.pic

it loses its reflective properties when used on terrain

do you think it would be possible (and of course simple) to repair in PB4?

i really want to make a planet made of biometal for my next mod!!
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

TheJamsh

ewwww itll look horrible though will it not? id make some custom textures using a shiny thing in it with veiny bio-metal streams and stuff :D

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

mrtwosheds

it would be a nightmare map, would probably crash bz2 and make people feel sick, every time you moved the environment pic would wizz across the ground distorting and being repeated every terrain square... It would look horrible, just make a nice set of metal-asteroid colour textures and an environment.pic to match instead.

GSH

There's nothing reflective about reflection3.pic. It's just a environment map applied to a chrome-ish material.

Making things truly reflective is not trivial. To do it properly, you'd need to switch over to raytracing. Or do some massive rewrites of the graphics code. Feature request denied.

-- GSH

bigbadbogie

GRRR!!! you deny all my requests!!!

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

General BlackDragon

careful there easter slug... :-P

Actually, He's right. The game hardcodes to make reflection3.pic reflective, and only on chrome things.

Chrome is scion building in progress thing, and is assigned to scrap.

Making this into a terrain texture is...well, impossible?

Here's an idea, make a flat or slightly bumpy square of ground like a baseplate, make it kinda like the scrap model, as far as textues go, and then just cover ur map with it.

*****General BlackDragon*****

anomaly

Also, and I forget where, but there is a place to specify which texture is used for the chrome effect, so you can customize the effect for each map. 

You might want to look into creating your own texture because if you have a large and relatively flat object the texture might not become distorted enough. With the default texture, it might be too obvious that its just a screenshot.(If I remember right its just a screenshot of a mire map)

mrtwosheds

You can define the texture "reflected by chrome" in the console for each map.
chrome.texture mymap.pic
It looks crap on flat surfaces.
To look ok it is best to warp a screen shot of terrain and sky so that the terrain ends up in the middle surrounded by sky, this puts the terrain at the edge of the scrap and the sky in the middle.

What he's actually asking for is sculptable water with reflections 'on'...  brrrrr, it would be horrible...

I say we take him around back and Salt him...    :evil:

-Av-

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

Nielk1

What about exporting an area of terrain as an XSI and then setting its texture to REFLECTION3.PIC

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

yeah.. but me want whole map made of biometal  :cry:

My BZ2 mods:

GSH

yeah.. but me want whole map made of biometal

And how many games have rendering like this? At all? More importantly, how many games from 1999?

When the number is really small, that should be a sign.

-- GSH

anomaly

Quote from: bigbadbogie on April 28, 2008, 04:28:12 PM
yeah.. but me want whole map made of biometal  :cry:
Then make the entire map an xsi.  Or export it in chunks.  And don't use a collision frame.

But really, I don't think such an idea would look great.  It might end up looking less like shiny metal and more like "woah the ground's a constantly swirling miasma of colors!".  which now that I think about it, would make a very psychedelic map if you used a rainbow texture. :-o  But it really depends on the texture you use.  I don't think anyone knows how the chrome effect turns out on very large objects, so I guess you'll just have to try.

You know what might look a bit better is not to completely cover the terrain in chrome but, have large veins, rivers, or crystals of shiny metal criss-crossing the map.

bigbadbogie

on the upside - if someone was to get high (nobody in particular :wink:) they could drive a tank around a fake chrome place!!! IMAGINE THAT!!!!!!!!

My BZ2 mods: