• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

terrain pb4 request

Started by bigbadbogie, April 26, 2008, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General BlackDragon

Quote from: anomaly on April 28, 2008, 05:46:57 PM
Then make the entire map an xsi.  Or export it in chunks.  And don't use a collision frame.

That's what I ment. Using the "ENVIRON" section in editor....

(NOTE TO SELF: Add an "export" button to it in pb4)

*****General BlackDragon*****

Steeveeo

An entire shiny biometal map = Horrid to even think about.
A planet with biometal viens here and there, however = potentially awesome.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Nielk1

Issue with plastering square objects all over, wont they all act as separate reflections? Thus, each time that texture tiled it would do that, and thus be one giant ugly shiny mess that resembled the camera effects used for the view from an insect.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

exactly

@GSH - ground reflections shouldnt be too hard to make work... just copy the reflection code from gameobjects to terrain - (im assuming too much here arent i)
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Nielk1

He already told you how hard it is.

Click on the image...

BZ2 reflections in water are a trick...  the objects are actually recreated, mirrored, under the water.  That's what was causing Ice Rhinos to rise up from underwater when you dumped them through the ice in "Thin Ice".  Notice also that objects like Palm Trees are only reflected if they're completely out of the water...  Notice also that reflections disappear completely if you're looking through something that is itself reflecting or transparent, such as a Nav Beacon or the edges of grass or the canopy of a palm tree.

So reflections are already buggy, and here you want a whole map covered with them?  brrrrrrrr.....

-Av-

GSH

The "reflection" on biometal is a quick hack that works only because the object is really small. It's not a true reflection at all. To do proper reflections, you'd need to raytrace the entire scene, which is *not* cheap, and *not* done by any current game.

As a wise(?) man once said, "Now go away, or I will taunt you a second time." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071853/quotes .

-- GSH

Red Devil

"Run Awaaaay!  Run Awaaaaay!"
What box???

General BlackDragon

tis 'nother iwea!

make the map flat and cover it with a (thin) barely visible layer of water. It'll reflect evreything above. Sky, your ship, etc...

OvermindDL1

Biometal is not even reflecting, it is just a very simple parallax environment map, isn't it?

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

lucky_foot

Quote from: bigbadbogie on April 28, 2008, 08:35:51 PM
exactly

@GSH - ground reflections shouldnt be too hard to make work... just copy the reflection code from gameobjects to terrain - (im assuming too much here arent i)

LOL.

BBB. Trust me, when GSH says he can't/won't do it because it's to difficult. You can bet he's not makin' it up. He's been working on this code long enough he probably sees all those namespaces, classes, and so forth in his sleep. :D

Jonathan S.

TheJamsh

it would look poo tho :D

id make it like the rend textures, so its a strange type of hard rocky colour with bio-metal 'viens' running through it

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Angstromicus

Topic locked. It is futile, bbb!

Edit: Received valid argument for continuation of thread. Unlocking. Sorry for any inconvenience and error on my part.

TheJamsh

lol wernt you just posted up to global moderator TOO?

you just having fun with you new abilities :D PLEASE DONT BLOCK ME :O

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

General BlackDragon

Yea, I was gonna yap at u for locking it on msn...

Continuing these kindof topics are a sespool for ideas and random etc ideas for modders.

Sure, so GSH isnt going to add anything....but hey, the topic got stolen by OT'aholic's long ago... :mrgreen:

Sooo....XSI to ground....hows she' look?