• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Installer creation utilities.

Started by Steeveeo, April 28, 2008, 05:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeveeo

Hey all, since we (the SRV team) have started work on patch version 2.20 of SRV, I'd like to get into the modern era (ie, make installation a bit more smooth, and well...cool).

Im wondering, besides "Install Creator" by clickteam, are there any free softwares that have a similar GUI for creating installers?

Prefered Features:
- Version Check (checks a textfile/part of a textfile for a version number, then procedes with installation if the version < the check)
- Version Prompt (Ability to ask the user to choose between "Full install" or "Patch to current version" (possibly using the above feature to check to see which patches to install))
- Uninstallation Autocreation (catchy ryhme, no?)
- File Warning/Prompt (Prompts the user with a warning about an optional file (say, a CFG file) and asks whether the user wants to install it or not)
- Installer Images (Images placeable in different panels of the GUI and a background)
- Custom Icon embedding (Installer Icon)
- Any other cool features you can find.

(NOTICE: This is not a "How much do you like installers?" thread! This is a "What Installer Utility is right for me?" thread!)

Please and thank you!

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

GSH

1.3 uses a completely custom installer. It has all assets packed in a .7z file, which is decompressed to memory, and 90+% of the files are then added to a .pak file; the rest are live. This really helps reduce download size.

If I didn't use that, I might be tempted to go with something free like http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page . Some more things http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullsoft_Scriptable_Install_System here.

-- GSH

Steeveeo

Sweet, quick responce!

I'll be sure to check this out when I finalize the patch.

Anybody got any others to share?

Nielk1

I personally like GSH's way. I will look into some 7z libraries. How can I make pack files? Is there source code for the PAK explorer or PAK format or is that all 'in house' code.

Click on the image...

OvermindDL1

Yea, Nullsoft (more of a unique look, looks less like the standard windows installer, I honestly have no clue how many plugins it has, have not used it), InnoSetup (which I use, has some nice graphical tools to create it, ton of plugins), WIX (the open-sourced Microsoft windows installer, yes you read that right, have not used it, not really any of the advanced features that InnoSetup has, hence why I still use InnoSetup, but it is the pure Windows installer itself).  I am not even sure if there are any for-pay installers out there...

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Steeveeo

Maybe if this list gets big enough (or informative enough) it can be stickied for future use. (Hint :P)

Feared_1

I found that the NSIS ZIP to EXE utility is useful for making installers. I don't know if that is quite what you're looking for though.

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Steeveeo

The free version doesnt do all I want it to.

General BlackDragon

Okay, I need something like this now...

I need an installer with radio button options that installs different additional files depending on the users choice. (cant be able to select multiple of them or it'll give u a nice duplicate asssets warning)

*****General BlackDragon*****

OvermindDL1

Almost any installer will do that, pretty common functionality.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey