• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Strange stuttering issue

Started by navbeacon, May 11, 2008, 08:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

navbeacon

I'm guessing this will be pretty hard to explain, but I hope someone understands what I'm trying to say here. :D

When I am launching a BZ2 single player game, it seems that every 0,5 seconds, the game "stutters", kind of like multplayer lag. This is very noticeable when I turn my ship, as the world jumps several meters in the opposite direction. This makes aiming impossible.

Apart from this issue I get a steady 60fps

I tried running the game in highest and lowest graphics settings, the issue is still the same.
This happens in 1.3pb3 as well as 1.2.

HW:
AMD Turion64 x2 TL-52 1.6 GHz (dual core)
ATi Xpress 1150 graphics chip
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1

Commando

Press Alt + F to disable the framerate counter.  See if that helps any.

I know my view will be slightly jerkier if I enable the counter.

Feared_1

THIS IS MY PROBLEM!!

I would benefit from any help! I'll try the framerate counter thing.

Thanks for bringing this up, by the way, I couldn't really explain it earlier. "Stutter" explains it pretty well, though!

navbeacon

Tried the counter thing, no luck. :(

Glad to see I'm no the only one. :)

bigbadbogie

i think i know what you mean, when there are like 100 ships all fighting eachother right in front of you i get that
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

navbeacon

Maybe.

The thing is, I can be at the lowest screen resolution, the absolute lowest graphics settings, on a completely empty and flat map, but the stutteting just won't go away...

Steeveeo

Check your task manager during this, is any process "pinging" your system every once in awhile? (ie, the CPU column shows more than 10 for as long as the jitters go)

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

The first time I saw this was on the COW map.  At the time (BZ2 1.0) we figured it was because we had pushed the view distance, had a ton of empty respawning ships on the map, and had some funky animated objects (cows).

Later I experienced it every time I wandered around in the Dunes map, even when the map was empty.

I finally dumped the onboard sound and went with an SB Audigy card, and the stuttering went away.

Now, I'm not saying it's sound.  I'm saying it's something in your system that DEMANDS attention and isn't playing nice with the interrupts.  It's tying up the system at a time when BZ2 needs to do something.

That's my theory, anyway.

-Av-

Red Devil

Sound advice.  If forget and leave a search running, it stutters.  Same as when my AV scan starts up.
What box???

navbeacon

I tried changing from Aero to the windows default (grey) theme.

Now default 1.3pb3 Bz2 works much better!