• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

whats the mazimum size i can have my map?

Started by TheJamsh, May 05, 2008, 08:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

i want to make an emormous one basically, dont worry about loading times and things

i set it in the TER/TRN file to 16384 or somthing... but it stayed at about 2000 metres

and can i set more than 14 textures to use in map editor?

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

General BlackDragon

must be a power of two...

I.E. 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, etc...

also, conventionally I've found that the two numbers above it are half of what the size is...

like this:

// I dunno exactly what these do...
MinX = 2048.0
MinZ = 2048.0
// map size...
Width = 4096.0
Depth = 4096.0

*****General BlackDragon*****

TheJamsh

16384 is twice that of 8192 though... so how come THAT doesnt fit?

and yeh i noticed that too, i changed them but its okay

Angstromicus

For making extremely large maps (and extremely small maps, too), there are a couple of extremely important parameters you need to know of in the "YOUR_CUSTOM_MAP_NAME.trn" file.

MetersPerGrid = 8.0

Maps in BZII are made up of polygons. This setting tells how big each polygon is. Settings beyond 512 cause computer crashes for me, regardless of how powerful the system is.
NOTE: Structures that take up terrain plates may cause terrain "holes" unless they are appropriately scaled.

HeightGranularity = 0.1

This setting tells how many meters goes to each increment of elevation. A value of .1, the default, means that a height of 100 in the editor amounts to ten meters. With this setting you can create some ridiculously high mountains, but it may be necessary to increase this setting on maps with larger grid scales.

OvermindDL1

It is quite possible to get some bloody massive maps with huge buildings in BZ2 if you scale everything correctly and well. :)

If only the Epic mod was continued...

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Nielk1

If only... I'm messing around with the .:]aRc[:. clan's planned mod.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

Quote from: General BlackDragon on May 05, 2008, 09:25:50 AM
must be a power of two...

I.E. 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, etc...

also, conventionally I've found that the two numbers above it are half of what the size is...

wubish - the last qf mission is:
MinX=-1024
MinZ=-1024
Width=10000
Depth=10000
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Nielk1

Everyone stand back, something might explode.

Aren't the width and depth the boundaries for the 'rubber band walls'?

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

the edge_path is the rubber band walls - i dont have a kloo what MinX and MinZ are

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

TheJamsh

anomaly

Quote from: bigbadbogie on May 05, 2008, 06:27:03 PM
the edge_path is the rubber band walls - i dont have a kloo what MinX and MinZ are
Then what are width and depth?

And how far did Epic mod go into development?

GreenHeart

Quote from: bigbadbogie on May 05, 2008, 06:27:03 PM

I can't exactly remember where i got this information thats in a text file on my pc however I do remember GSH saying something about the trn.

Changing the map size

You can only change the map size before you start editing the map. First, you need to choose which planet you want to make it on. Say you want to do Pluto. You go to your Battlezone II directory, go to data\missions\multiplayer , and you go into a map folder that is on Pluto. For example, CTFPluto. COPY the .SKY and .TRN file , and drop them in the addon folder. From there, right click on the .TRN file, and hit "Properties" , uncheck the "read only" box. Then open the .TRN and edit this:

MinX = -500.0
MinZ = -500.0
Width = 1000.0
Depth = 1000.0

Change the wdith and depth to whatever you wish.(7168x7168 is the largest) And make MinX and MinZ half of what the width and depth is.(Must be square) Now save. Rename the two files. Then to edit hit, Start > Run, and in the path line you should have: "C:\PrgramFiles\BattlezoneII\bzone.exe" /edit mymap.TRN /nobodyhome
The "/nobodyhome" line will clear the dll path from the map. If you do not use it, you may get an access violation. When you edit this, you will get a blank map on Pluto. You could also put in a different .sky file from a different map to have a different sky.

***When you save this make sure it is saved as mymap.BZN , if it saves as mymap.TRN your map will be ruined. If you have to, type in the .BZN extension.*** And next time you call it up to edit, you will use the .bzn eztension instead of .trn
Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.

bigbadbogie

actually, you can change the map size after you are editing the map - i have done that a few times

and it can be a lot bigger than 7168x7168

My BZ2 mods:

Nielk1

When I look at that it makes me think that by making it half you are ensuring the center of the map is 0,0.

Click on the image...

Angstromicus

Winter let me do both of those things. But when I went beyond the "max" size, the map had a "buffer zone" of terrain that could not be edited or traversed. It was no more usable than the mysterious invisible substance that keeps you "afloat" beyond the edge of the map.