• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Vertex animation.... any ideas (3dsMax)

Started by Warfreak, May 24, 2008, 10:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbadbogie

so they do work - they just wont export
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

OvermindDL1

They need to be converted to translate functions first in other words.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Warfreak

Its my topic, so ill bump it up :P.

Anyhow, to seriousness now: Linked Xform DOES NOT make it through teh exporter...... that and i cant find any other controller that allows parts of the mesh to be linked to other meshes...  :-(

Nielk1

What happens when we just move the points around and key frame it, does it not key frame? (never tried)

Click on the image...

Warfreak

It Doesnt register as animation, it registers as editing the mesh if oyu jsut move around the points..... THis is one of those times when Dx has to finally cough up what he knows.... :x

Warfreak

0_o, i jsut realized something...... I forgot there was the Skin controller for 3DS Max... the ONLY problem with it is is that it is by far the most complex way of setting up vertexes for animation (i've only seen the Halo 1 models use it really, so i dont have much of an idea how it works).

bigbadbogie

all halflife 2 models use that - its damn tuf to do though

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

Warfreak

Im gonna test out if the Covenant Ghost exports with its "skin" later on today.... only problem being the pivots of the controllers are WAY too messed up for bz2.... im scared to even mess with them.  :|

OvermindDL1

I remember when vertex animations were faster then bone animations, now, because bone animations can be done on the video card itself, they are much faster.  Also vastly easier to program for, hence why everything, like HL2, uses bone animations near exclusively.

Kinda funny though, because the bones themselves are animate using vertex animation, just with only a dozen or so vertices instead of thousands, and the video card can link all the visible ones to the bones with various weights. :)

BNG Da BZ Fool

Are there any settings that can be adjusted in max? In gsl the k f editor has like a dozen or so parameters that can be selected by right clicking the record button while in the scene editor, but i'm not sure such things work with max.

PS: Does hl2 use the mdl format?
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

OvermindDL1

HL2 supports the mdl format I think, but it prefers newer formats, don't really recall which, check in the official wiki?

Warfreak

It DOES use mdl, but thats not all you need..... the main format it looks for to build all its models (yes, everything you put into the folowing format is converted into it own separate files) is .smd .   There is an exporter for 3DS Max, but im not sure if there is one for anything NOT Autodesk.  :|

bigbadbogie

yeh - i got that exporter to test it out - modding hl2 is near impossible to somebody who cant c++ code

even the modelling is extremely difficult

My BZ2 mods:

Nielk1

I was thinking we could get the entire BZ2 style of things (touch a unit to get in, pick up weapon crates, interface screen) into the source engine and even add unit collisions and some cool physics, but it would take a lot of time.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

ive been looking up some source tutorials - god, it is probably easier to make a brand new game then to make a source mod!!

My BZ2 mods: