• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Does BZ2 support bone animations?

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, June 08, 2008, 04:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

I'm slowly figuring out how to skin geometry to the skelatal bones in gsl, and I was wondering if the game engine will know how to handle such models? Also, I'm starting to create multiple key frame animations in the k f editor where I can set additional key frames after advancing to specific frames and manipulating the model then recording another key frame. The x exporter in gsl adds the following entry to skinned modelsas well>

template XSkinMeshHeader {
   <3CF169CE-FF7C-44ab-93C0-F78F62D172E2>
   WORD nMaxSkinWeightsPerVertex;
   WORD nMaxSkinWeightsPerFace;
   WORD nBones;
}
template SkinWeights {
   <6F0D123B-BAD2-4167-A0D0-80224F25FABB>
   STRING transformNodeName;
   DWORD nWeights;
   ARRAY DWORD vertexIndices[nWeights];
   ARRAY FLOAT weights[nWeights];
   Matrix4x4 matrixOffset;

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has any tips they could pass on to help me figure out the animation thingy. Tanks, BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

OvermindDL1

Yes, BZ2 supports bone animations.  However, it only supports two weights per bone, so nWeights should *never* be more then two, it is just an arbitrary BZ2 limitation that most modelers do not have, so watch for it.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

BNG Da BZ Fool

Tanks OM, attempting to do animations seems really strange at this point, but I'm having a blast playing around with them. GSL, seems to support vertex animation too, and I'm trying to figure it all out. I hope some of it is usable for the game. Both Gamespace and Truespace seem almost identical to one another, with GSL being the easiest to comprehend for the average modeler.

It's a shame that GSL doesn't support any other common export formats other then X, CAN, or COB. I also figured out how to manipulate and animate vertices's as I modified the mcwing bird model by moving the wings up and down and recorded the movements with the k f editor as an animation. Now I'd like to figure out how to animate something more complex like a turret model. BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.