• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

You know that new pc I got..

Started by General BlackDragon, August 25, 2008, 08:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General BlackDragon

Combo fix was the first thing i tried. Being unable to DL it on my new PC (downlaods fail) I dl'ed it here then copied over.

The only thing it did was tell me there's a rootkit, and that i msut reboot. Then it reboots and does nothing else.

I can try scanning/cleaning it, but i can't really trust that anything would see the rootkit or etc stuff...

*****General BlackDragon*****

GENERAL MANSON*

Can you do transfers on msn? Logging onto it now.

GreenHeart

Quote from: General BlackDragon on August 26, 2008, 02:10:40 PM
Combo fix was the first thing i tried. Being unable to DL it on my new PC (downlaods fail) I dl'ed it here then copied over.

The only thing it did was tell me there's a rootkit, and that i msut reboot. Then it reboots and does nothing else.

I can try scanning/cleaning it, but i can't really trust that anything would see the rootkit or etc stuff...

Try scanning with AVG,   (its free & can scan for rootkits.)
Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.

General BlackDragon

AVG was the thing that got rid of the original whatever it was.

but still crap on my PC.

Zero Angel

Quote from: GreenHeart on August 27, 2008, 03:01:45 AM
Try scanning with AVG,   (its free & can scan for rootkits.)
I don't really trust ANY automated tool for removing a really bad rootkit/virus -- automated cleans, from my experience, can sometimes leave traces or fail to undo any harm that the badware has done. Though if you did have to get a new antivirus program, I would recommend NOD32, its light on resources and is really good at detecting and removing viruses before they can really cause any problems.

Quote from: General BlackDragon on August 26, 2008, 09:56:54 AM
Okay, 1: Virus scanner + Microsoft Tech Support = useless.

Symtoms: Search Engines fail, sending me to random other search engine links instead of when i click on a link brought up by any search engine. Downloads fail. Some programs (i.e. 3ds max) fail. Some games wont connect online. Some websites dont even come up, most do, I can get on forums and stuff but it's laggy. Other sites come up as page cannot be displayed.

Display properties "desktop" and "Screensaver" tabs are missing.

Compfix.exe ran and said it detected the presence of a rootkit and must reboot, then fails to restart after i relogin.

My plan: Simple, whipe drive and reinstall from scratch, get a CD from the guy this time, so If i ever need to do it again I will have the CD. And get a small 40gig to install os on as well, and use that as primary boot drive while using the 200gig for storage/backup.

And I plan to use firefox on it.

Any oither suggestions about how to setup a more secure HD setup?
I work on computers for a living, and know how bad some rootkits can be. I use a lot of tricks to get rid of them and some things cannot even be removed while Windows is running, I have to boot into my portable linux environment to get rid of some of it (You cannot trust an automated program to automatically remove EVERYTHING -- given how sophisticated some viruses and rootkits can be), and even then a fully manual rookit removal can take a couple of hourss. So yeah, a reinstall is definitely the way to go for one that sounds as bad as the one you got.

BD, if you have Windows XP, it might be worth it to download the torrent for (NON PIRATED version) of Windows XP with Service Pack 3. So long as you have a valid product key for XP Home, then it will work. Then when you reinstall in the future, at least you'll have a usable OS disc that will save you the time of downloading and installing all those updates all over again.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Zero Angel

BTW: This is my portable linux distro

It runs off of my 120GB portable mini hard drive (Seagate FreeAgent Go), has a 10GB linux partition, 1GB swap partition, and 100GB data partition (for music, media, windows utils and data backups) -- I can plug this into any PC that has USB ports and it will auto-configure itself to boot off of the hardware. I can make modifications to it (like installing new programs, changing settings, etc) and then choose to save them (or not save them) on exit, I can install things through its graphical package manager (for linux users, just FYI its based off of Archlinux, NOT ubuntu), I can burn CD's since it doesnt take up a CD slot like a liveCD, I can run ophcrack and crack either the XP and Vista passwords on the host machine, run Aircrack and gain access to even secure wireless networks, run drivezilla and image the drives similar to the way norton ghost does it. Surf the internet, watch movie files, download music and torrents, run windows apps. Its the ultimate hackers tool and the drive is most important piece of equipment in my arsenal (besides my trusty #2 phillips screwdriver!).  :-D
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel

General BlackDragon

damn u and ur pretty background...:P

Raven

Dear god you were using IE?!

I got on well with Knoppix for sorting out problems with the Windows OS before. Its your friend!

Ever tried Arch or Gentoo, ZA?
The ATI drivers on Ubuntu fricking suck and I can't be arsed to even try. So I'm not bothering to sort my install out until I get the new graphics card in. I had it practically perfect as well...

Zero Angel

Quote from: Raven on August 27, 2008, 06:16:52 PM
Ever tried Arch or Gentoo, ZA?
The ATI drivers on Ubuntu fricking suck and I can't be arsed to even try. So I'm not bothering to sort my install out until I get the new graphics card in. I had it practically perfect as well...
Well, FaunOS (the OS in the screenshot is NOT ubuntu, I just used an ubuntu theme because I like the way the icons look) is based on Arch, which is supposed to be really excellent. And someday in the near future I am going to install it (when I get a new hard drive), but right now i'm just concerned about the lack of space on my current one as well as losing all of my settings on Kubuntu (my current desktop OS).

I've also tried Sabayon (which is based on Gentoo), and thought it was a pretty really well-put-together OS. Right now i'm more interested in Arch, because its supposed to be really fast (and FaunOS is faster than my native Kubuntu install, which is surprising since it runs from a USB2 connection and not IDE like my Kubuntu install).

I've also tried Knoppix, and I didnt really care for it. It was one of my first tool kits and while it got the job done I always found it to be rather plain and ugly.
{bac}Zero Angel

Raven

I've always thought of Knoppix as a tool to be honest.

Ah I should have noticed it was Faun. Any good? Might try it out.

Arch takes way more time than the more mainstream distros, but yeah its very fast and lightweight. It works well with the modded KDE, KDEmod. Looks very smart but not over the top. Unless you install compiz/beryl etc etc.

Nielk1

If I have AVG INSTALLED my Steam malfunctions and no Source games work.

----------------------------
And before you tell me just turn it off (for the damn 15th time):
I am HIGHLY computer literate, I know the difference between running and installed and have already tried that. I resent that you would think I am that inept with computers. To all those who don't do so, why are you reading this? It is not addressed to you.
----------------------------

Click on the image...

Red Devil

Do you have it set up to scan for downloads with AVG?
What box???

OvermindDL1

I have both Steam and AvG, it all works fine for me, it is probably some other app that is interfering with those two together.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

GENERAL MANSON*

Raven

Mines fine too, AND its Vista so you'd expect it to explode!
Though I only have Portal :P