• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Re: Vista sux? (Was "Got a new sound card...!")

Started by wug, June 26, 2008, 03:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSH

theres a console option though isnt there? to force hardware control on sound channels?

If DirectX says it has SW only, then BZ2 respects that. Blame MS for crippling audio on Vista. Only if the underlying sound system was rewritten for something like OpenAL could HW audio work on vista. And, I'm not too interested in doing that.

-- GSH

wug

X-Fi has what they call "Alchemy" middleware to translate Directsound calls into OpenAL, which allows Vista to use hardware acceleration.  So that's why I have good sound in BZ2 again.  There's no way to disable software mixer otherwise.

Some games do support OpenAL natively, while a few games exclusively use the software mixer even for XP.

After SP1, Vista has been rock solid for me.  Drivers have finally matured, and most of the OS issues have been addressed.  Now, when a game crashes (which is fairly rare), I can usually switch out back to the desktop.  In XP, it'd be dead in the water.

TheJamsh

and if you want proof of vistas driver failures... check this instance out.

halfway through burning a data disc my computer had a blip and crashed. from this point on i could not use the disc drives at all. which was vewry inconvenient as i needed to do a system restore to get the drivers working again and couldnt burn my things off. luckily id already burnt my mod to disc lol...

its still a pain. isnt there some kind of failsafe for something like this :S? just swinging for the fence here...

oh and wug while youre around, do you have a tips on some AIP's i want to do? i wont continue the topic here though

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

wug

Quote from: TheJamsh on July 03, 2008, 03:53:52 AM
< Stuff deleted>

oh and wug while youre around, do you have a tips on some AIP's i want to do? i wont continue the topic here though

I was thinking about writing an article (something I was going to do for lucky_foot), but I think the best tip I can tell you ATM is to look through and use either mine or the stock AIPs as a template/reference.

It's like writing an app... it's easier to start with something than a blank screen.  By dissecting how the AIP files work, you'll probably learn a lot faster than if I try to give some kind of long-winded tutorial.

The stock 1.3 AIPs are more basic, and that's what I used as a reference when I started.  I started by cutting out chunks, leaving only the base building portion, then went into the game and watched what the builder did.  Then I layered on some defense plans, and lastly attack plans.

Hope that helps.... :wink:

TheJamsh

yeh thats what im doing... im sure with time ill figure things out...

it would be nice if constructors went into the field protected at some point.

an article in jonathans BZ magazine would be cool lol... month by month thing of how to go nuts with it.

im thinking of writing a blender 3D article for him... once ive finished getting the hang on modeelling and OM's exporter goes bug free

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.